Thread: how to make tray handles using router roundover bit

how to make tray handles using router roundover bit

I am making trays that have end pieces 3/4" thick and measuring 4x15. I want to cut out handles on each end and expect to drill 1" holes 4 inches apart as the first step. Then I will connect the holes w straight lines and cut out most of waste w a jig saw cutting close to the line. I'd like to remove the rest of the waste and get a very straight line using a straight bit in the router table. Is this a risky operation? Once I have the straight lines cut, I intend to use a bearing guided round over bit to smooth the handles. Any suggestions appreciated.

That's close to what I do. I drill a hole at each end, draw a line along the top and bottom and use a jig saw to cut close to the line. Then I use a rasp to bring the cut down to the line. I use Nicholson #49 or #50 rasps. Then use a roundover bit (with a guide bearing) to round the wood. I have a tutorial on making a tray on my web site. The page that deals with making the handle is here.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-18-2013 at 1:47 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

An alternative approach would be to use a straight bit in a plunge router with a collet and template to cut out the opening, then remove the collet and template and switch to a bearing guided round over bit. The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to worry about drilled holes being slightly out of alignment.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    An alternative approach would be to use a straight bit in a plunge router with a collet and template to cut out the opening, then remove the collet and template and switch to a bearing guided round over bit. The advantage of this approach is that you don't have to worry about drilled holes being slightly out of alignment.

John
    That's what I do. I use the size straight bit (1" in your case) of the slot I want to make. Set stop/start blocks to control the length of the slot.
    Doing this in 1 pass instead of using a smaller bit and multiple passes, is quicker and less prone to funny looking ends. I follow this with a bearing mounted roundover bit.

"very straight line using a straight bit in the router table. Is this a risky operation?"
    Very.