Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy another WWII

Should I buy another WWII

It looks like my WWII finally needs to be sharpened. I just built a Medal of Honor display case out of white oak and experienced more burning, and more chipout than I have ever experienced before. The blade was cleaned before starting the project but it is about a year and a half old and has cut quite a bit of plywood.

How many of you have a second blade as a backup for when your primary blade is being sharpened? In your experience, how long does it usually take Forrest to sharpen and return a blade?

I am ready to start a large built in entertainment center for LOML and I wanted to start with all of my tools sharpened and tuned to try and minimize the inevitable problems.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

Jack, the last time I sent my WWII in, it was back within a week. They are very good at getting them back in a timely manner! If I were going to invest in a second blade from Forrest, I would make it a different blade such as their 30t ripping blade so I could have a wider variety.
    "Be true to your work, your word, and your friend." -Henry David Thoreau

old WWII

Jack: I only own one WWII and it's an old one in age and new in use. It is like a jointed edge but in cherry if always burned and the only improvement came when they told me to raise the blade. That didn't cure the problem completely but it helped and Forrest tried to help. I still would be careful myself to get another since they are pricy by my standards. Harry

I have a backup blade for my Forrest WW II. It is a Freud F40, the predecessor to the F410, that I bought for about $50 several years ago, when the Freud blade was touted in Wood. Today, The F410 is priced much closer to the WW II. I'm a die-hard Forrest fan with three of them in my shop, but I'd be hard pressed to justify a second WW II as a backup. I get my blades sharpened locally at Scott's Sharpening Service in the Phoenix area, and waiting a long time for sharpening is not an issue for me - thanks to Scott. From what I have heard, Forrest turns blades around in a week or two.

Thanks guys. If I can get the blade back in a week or so it I can't justify another as a backup. This leads to another question.

I don't own a dedicated ripping blade. How does the Freud LM72R heavy duty rip blade compare to the 30 tooth WWII? I would only use the ripping blade about 5% of the time so double the price for the Forrest is a little hard to take. Is there that much difference in quality of cut?

What about Infinity blades? I have had good luck with Infinity router bits and their saw blades are about the same price as the Freud, but I haven't heard any testimonials from actual users.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

I have the new Dewalt 50 tooth combo blade and it cuts really nice. The edges look like they have been jointed. I got it for $55.00 at Woodcraft.

My WWII took a month from the time I gave it to Woodcraft for sharpening 'til the time I got it back. I'm sorry if I offend any WWII fans out there, but there are other blades out there (CMT and Freud) that give just as good of a cut for a lot less hassle. (sharpening locally).
    Craig

I have a second WWII for the time that the other is off for sharpening. The blade is usually back in a week. I send it to Forrest for sharpening. I haven't found a need for another blade. The WWII does ripping and crosscutting ideally. I have had mine for about 15 years. I had the teeth replaced on one of them due to wear. Much cheaper than a new blade.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by craig carlson
    My WWII took a month from the time I gave it to Woodcraft for sharpening 'til the time I got it back. I'm sorry if I offend any WWII fans out there, but there are other blades out there (CMT and Freud) that give just as good of a cut for a lot less hassle. (sharpening locally).
    Craig
    There's no rule that says you have to have it sharpened by Forrest...when I was at the mesquite outfit, we used to have a local guy sharpen them. He did an 'acceptable' job, but it wasn't as good as Forrest.

You can shave a couple weeks off the time, and I suspect some of the cost, by eliminating Woodcraft as the 'handler' and just sending the blades back to Forrest youself.

KC

Quote Originally Posted by craig carlson
    Craig
    Craig - there are alternatives other than Forrest for having a Forrest blade sharpened. After your experience with Woodcraft, that sounds like one of the poorer choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Norfleet
    I don't own a dedicated ripping blade. How does the Freud LM72R heavy duty rip blade compare to the 30 tooth WWII? I would only use the ripping blade about 5% of the time so double the price for the Forrest is a little hard to take. Is there that much difference in quality of cut?
    Jack - Freud's rip blades are excellent. I have had one for several years, and get great results when riping hardwoods over an inch thick.

Hi, I just happen to think that the WWII is over rated for the price. It would burn wood when ripping (40T blade, oak and cherry) even when new. When I use the Frued blade for ripping or the CMT blade for crosscuting the burning goes away. What can I say?
    Craig

There is a "Number 6 grind" available on a WW II blade. When I heard about it, I got it and my original WW II is the backup. Every 5th tooth is a raker, like on rip blades. The nominal purpose is to give a flatter bottom on the kerf, but I think it also enhances rip performance slightly (it was already good). Therefore if you do get a second WW II, I suggest you order the "number 6 grind" rather than ordering a special rip blade.

Forrest does an especially good job sharpening their blades, and other brands of blades as well. I have heard of people sending their NEW blades from other vendors to Forrest for sharpening before use. So it just doesn't make sense to send a Forrest blade to someone else.

I have two WWII blades. One is a thin kerf and the other regular. I like the thin kerf when I'm ripping strips from a board to help maximize yield. They back up each other when one is being sharpened.

I just sent off my WWII back to Forest yesterday. I have had it since December, and have not been that impressed. I was never able to get a perfect clean cut with it. My $40 Freud blade cuts identically as well. My WWII started burning really bad, and smokes through 4/4 oak. The blade was cleaned, and smoked again. Now it won't even cut through 8/4 (with a 3HP cabinet saw.) Looking at the tips of the teeth, you can see where they burned and pitted. Kinda dissapointed, It cost $15.95 to send it back, and another $20 to get it sharpened! Heck, I got the thing for $90 to my door new, and now I spend another $36??? My thin kerf Freud was only $40 at the Depot!

So, to sum up the original question.. I'd buy a Frued back up blade instead.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules