Thread: Grease for Shenhui rails?

Grease for Shenhui rails?

Hi to all owners of a Shenhui laser,

I need to know what kind of grease do you use for rails?

Thank you for your time
    Gabi
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5
    Many ideas and very limited time

I use engine oil.
    Shenhui 1280 100W RECI

Hi John,

I was hoping to chime in ... What kind of oil engine?

Thank you
    Gabi
    SH-G570 80 W RECI
    Homemade CNC Router
    Emco CNC Lathe
    ArtCam 2009
    Rhinoceros V4.0
    All Vetric products
    SolidWorks 2012
    CorelDraw X5
    Many ideas and very limited time

Most rail manufacturers recommend lithium soap based grease. I bought Lubriplate 1200-2 on amazon but a quick search only shows cases. You should be able to buy it from most auto parts stores.

We use 3:1 lube oil.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

6. Hi all,
    I have been advised to use Vaseline and have been doing this for the last year with good results

White lithium grease like Lubriplate is excellent. If you need a small amount, go to a sporting goods store and buy a tube of grease for fishing reels. That stuff is very good for small sliding and rolling bearings.

Another George agrees with George-go with the Lubriplate-does not attract dirt as much as many oils.

I have some lubricant that comes in a aerosol can that was recommended for my CNC. I don't have it in front of me and I don't remember the name, but it's one of those dry lubricants that doesn't collect dust. Seems to me like you would want that inside a laser with all the various particles that float around in there. Is there any issue with using that in the laser? My manufacturer recommeds the lithium grease so I don't want to go against their recommendations unless I know it won't mess something up.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC
    Hurricane Ivan 60 Watt Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith61 View Post
    My manufacturer recommeds the lithium grease so I don't want to go against their recommendations unless I know it won't mess something up.
    I would go with the recommendations of the manufacturer of the rails and not necessarily of the laser manufacturer. The rail mfg should have years of experience with their product and should know how to best maintain it under various conditions. You'll find most rail mfgs recommend lithium soap based grease, not 3-in-1, not vaseline (seriously?), not engine oil.

Blog Entries
    I am curious. Has anyone tried using Boshield T9 to lubricate things in the lasers like the rails? I assume you do not want stuff to cling to the lubricant over time?

I use it on my wood lathe and love it because it doesn't leave any residue that can come off on my hands and get transferred to the wood. And wood dust and chips don't stick to it. It is quite durable, especially when you consider the lathe head stock and tail stock and banjo are being moved across the rails all the time.

I also use it on my bike chain for the same reasons. Unlike lubricants that stay moist it dries quickly and so dirt and stuff doesn't stick to it.

I also use it on our old boat. A trawler. It protects metals beautifully and doesn't leave things greasy.

You can get it as a liquid, as a pump bottle, and as an aerosol. It is all the same formula however.

Please keep in mind I don't own a laser yet and am asking out of curiosity and not out of oodles of laser experience.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I use air tool oil, only because I have a lifetime supply of it.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I use white lithium grease on all of mine either in a suspension spray or from a small tube. It's a rolling bearing pressure situation not a metal to metal sliding situation so many lathe oils *may* not be suitable.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !