Thread: Cherry wine rack / book case (pics)

Cherry wine rack / book case (pics)

Hi everyone

I really enjoy seeing the pictures that everyone posts and the work is truly top notch. I don't get a lot of time to view, comment or post anymore.

I thought I would share some pics of a recent project. It's made of solid cherry and it is finished with an antique cherry water dye, sealed with shelac and a satin laquer top coat.

The shelves are adjustable. It's the first time I've used apliques on a project. It was a little tricky trying to get the right color on a wood that wasn't cherry. I deliberatly made them a little darker as the cherry will continue to darken over time.

I really like the look of cherry and didn't want to see it go. The customer was pretty happy with it and that always makes me happy.

Doug Keener
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug Keener

wow

That's quite beautiful. I bet your customer was very happy to bring that into their house. great work!

roger

Doug,

With projects like this one, we want, no we NEED to see more of them! I really like your design!! My SIL want's a wine rack. I have printed off this post to see if this sparks any ideas for her.

Great work!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Doug, very, very nice! Staining cherry is a very dangerous proposition, but you pulled it off on this one. It looks great. And thanks for the picture of the back. Though it will never be seen, you put a lot of effort into it and it's a real sign of your craftsmanship.

It looks great, Doug. I get the wine rack part, but is the top a book case? It seems like the shelves are too close together for that. Maybe it's a perspective thing, though. Anyway, it looks really nice.

Doug,

I made a wine cabinet out of cherry a couple years back with very similar racks for the bottles. I found the racks to be very time consuming to make, especially the sanding. How did you cut yours, and how did you sand them? Sanding the burn marks left by the router took me forever.

Thanks,
    Mike

That's really lovely, Doug! Thanks for posting it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nicely done Doug! I like the stain color you chose.

Very nice.

What stain and shellac did you use?

Winerack / bookcase

Thank you for all the positive comments. To answer your questions:

The top is a bookcase or nick nack display area. The shelves are adjustable and or removeable. The customer wanted three so thats what he got. He can use all or none it's up to him.

The stain used was Moser's water soluable analine dye called antique cherry. It was sprayed on. I think it was purchased from Woodworkers supply. I then sealed it with Zinsers wax free seal coat shelac brushed on. The top coat is two sprayed coats of Deft clear laquer and the last coat is Deft satin laquer.

Each coat including the shelac was lightly sanded and or steel wooled with 4/0 to get rid of any bumps.

To make the bottle rack I cut a pattern from masonite and then attached it to the cherry with small nails. I then followed the pattern with a router with a half inch bit. I gradually removed the excess stock using a climb cut. The final pass was fast and did not remove much stock to avoid burning.

I used a 3/32 radius bit to relieve the edges. The sanding was done with a Sand-O-Flex sanding drum. Of course you always have some hand sanding but the drum gets most of it.

Thanks for looking.

Doug Keener
    Doug Keener

Doug, you don't take a back seat to anything I have seen posted here.

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!

Bruce