Thread: NEED HELP - DADO Throat Plate Insert for 10" Craftsman Table Saw

NEED HELP - DADO Throat Plate Insert for 10" Craftsman Table Saw

Hello,I am a fairly new and somewhat inexperienced woodworker, but I am slowly getting into it. I recently obtained an older Craftsman 10" Table Saw Model " 137.218030 from my father, and wanted to do some Dado cuts. The manual suggests not using a Dado Blade larger than 6" in diameter, so I ordered one from Craftsman. The Problem is the manual suggests using a Dado Insert with the blade, however it does not specify what kind, model #, or anything about one. Only that it is a separate procurable item.My dilemna is I have searched high and low for a Dado Throat Plate Insert for my Table Saw, but I am coming up empty handed. I thought about making one, but the thickness of the stock plate is less than a 1/4 of an inch. Not sure I could make a plate that is sturdy enough or capable of being attached that would work. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!Frustrated and wanting to make some Dado Cuts!

I think you should continue thinking about making one. Even at less than a 1/4", a piece of oak or maple or whatever hardwood you have on hand should be adequate.

Trace your current throat plate onto some wood and cut it out a tad large and sand sand sand to fit it snug.

Not to sound obvious, but woodworking is all about making things...so go for it! Your first project!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks Chris,

I think I will have to get creative. Its either make one myself or be forced to get a newer Table Saw. Im thinking its cheaper to make one.

Use a pattern router bit to match the outside shape. Then raise the blade into the insert by using the fence or a board, being careful to keep the fence away from the blade.

There is a video by FWW last week that shows you how to make a zero clearance insert. The same principle applies for the dado. View the video to see how simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    Use a pattern router bit to match the outside shape. Then raise the blade into the insert by using the fence or a board, being careful to keep the fence away from the blade.

There is a video by FWW last week that shows you how to make a zero clearance insert. The same principle applies for the dado. View the video to see how simple.

Last week there was also an e-tip I received from www.woodsmithshop.com that talked about using zero clearence and home made inserts too. I know a lot of inserts use a fastener of some kind to lock the plate to the saw. Last week I saw one of the guys use parifian wax and hot glue from a standard hot glue gun to hold and level the insert in place. It seemed like a really cool trick and I'm going to give it a try soon. I agree the easist way out of your delima is to make your own. If you try to go through Sears to get the plate, you could be waiting months. Just for what it was worth if I were going to make a new one I would probably make one from a scrap piece of melamine (nice and slick).

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Martinez View Post
    ... I think I will have to get creative. Its either make one myself or be forced to get a newer Table Saw. Im thinking its cheaper to make one..

I thought about making one, but the thickness of the stock plate is less than a 1/4 of an inch. Not sure I could make a plate that is sturdy enough or capable of being attached that would work. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    If you are worried about the thickness, you can make it from 1/2" stock or even 3/4" stuff.. I believe your saw has little fins the throat plate rests on. You can rabbet the area the plate sets on so it sits flush. Since it will be used with a dado stack you will have no problem fitting the cutters under it to raise it when you make the zero clearance cut.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I had a similar problem with my Hitachi job site saw.
    I worked around the problem by not using a dado blade & using a router instead.

A lack of an available throat plate should be a warning that using a dado blade in that saw isn't a wise idea.
    Who knows how much added wear and tear spinning the added mass of a dado blade is going to produce?

The best advice I can give you - based on my rookie experience with an entry level table saw - is to forget the dado for now and spend the money towards a good router with both a fixed and plunge base.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I agree with most of the above. I have used the same saw for years with a dado and no problems. I found a scrap piece of corian from a kitchen counter to make my zero clearance inserts. Built mine using the pattern bit technique. I upgraded the fence with a Vega, put on a link belt, set it on a cabinet instead of the factory legs and made dust covers for the openings using magnetic sign material. I now have a very good, accurate, long lived table saw with little to no vibration and good dust collection

I have used the same saw for years with a dado and no problems. I found a scrap piece of corian from a kitchen counter to make my zero clearance inserts. Built mine using the pattern bit technique. I upgraded the fence with a Vega, put on a link belt
    The manual for the 137.218030 shpws it as a direct drive w/no belt.
    Are you sure it was the same saw you used?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    The manual for the 137.218030 shpws it as a direct drive w/no belt.
    Are you sure it was the same saw you used?
    you beat me to that question. that insert is hard to copy because of it's thickness and attachment points to the saw, but it can be done. there's no way that i'm aware of to use a patterning technique to copy it from the original, which doesn't span the throat. i have a 10" portable TS like that which i keep for helping friends off site (never trust anyone else's tools). making ZCIs for that saw was a PITA. here's what i came up with after measuring, trimming, beveling and routing a ZCI into shape. it fits the opening perfectly. even made a few extra should i need to use a dado blade on site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I had a similar problem with my Hitachi job site saw.
    I worked around the problem by not using a dado blade & using a router instead.

A lack of an available throat plate should be a warning that using a dado blade in that saw isn't a wise idea.
    Who knows how much added wear and tear spinning the added mass of a dado blade is going to produce?

The best advice I can give you - based on my rookie experience with an entry level table saw - is to forget the dado for now and spend the money towards a good router with both a fixed and plunge base.
    I do the same thing. I have jigs made to cut 1/4 1/2 and 3/4" dados. I found this way of cutting dados safer and more accurate than on my table saw too. The jig is made from 1/4" plywood with 3/4" rails around the jig to hold the router in place. I saw this done by Norm several years ago on the NYW. I still from time to time cut dados on my table saw but it seems anymore I either grab my router of my RAS both cut dados very clean and my work is up where I can see it not down against the tabletop. If there is one drawback to using the router, it would be that the jigs are made to a specific router base plate so I cannot swap a Craftsman router out the jig and put my PC router in its place there is either too much slop in the jig or it just won't fit.

Blog Entries
    I have a craftsman saw and I used to make my own throat plates from the Luan plywood sold at any home center it is the perfect thickness. However, you will want to glue a reinforcing strip (1/2" x 3/4") to one side so that the blade won't hit it and to keep the luan from sagging if it sees any down pressure during the cut. I occasionally still use my luan inserts, but I designed an aluminum insert with replaceable wood strips that is much easier to use and the replaceable strips are easier to make than the whole insert.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Brandon, I have a dado plate from a Craftsman model 113-298842. It's yours if you think that it will fit your saw. I am in the using a router to cut dados camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    Brandon, I have a dado plate from a Craftsman model 113-298842. It's yours if you think that it will fit your saw. I am in the using a router to cut dados camp.
    See how nice woodworkers are! It doesn't get any better than that.

OOPS! I didn't check the saw model. Please ignore my post