Thread: High-Pressure Fittings for Build-Your-Own Hose: How to?

High-Pressure Fittings for Build-Your-Own Hose: How to?

The flexible braided hose between my compressor and air lines, the one that came with my Ingersoll Rand compressor, started leaking at the nut. I determined that the interior flared brass ferrule (JIC fitting) cracked. I had not adjusted the hose for months, and suddenly the leak occurred. Possibly the crack was due to my over-tightening it? At any rate, I need to replace the hose.

I found in McMaster-Carr a high pressure hose which you can build yourself: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/119/267/=mco8so You basically order the hose length you want and the fittings and then, apparently, attach the fittings.

The web site provides:

Build-Your-Own High-Pressure Braided Chemical Hose

• Use with ethylene glycol, mineral oil, and toluene; not for use with fuel oil or gasoline
    • Temperature Range: -65° to +400° F
    • Hose: PTFE
    • Braid: Type 304 stainless steel

Hose and fittings are sold separately. Just cut the hose to length and attach the fittings—no special equipment required. Note: After attaching the fittings, hose should be tested for required pressure before use. [red emphasis added]
    I contacted McMaster-Carr asking if there are any assembly instructions for the fittings, their reply was:

McMaster-Carr: All of the information we have on these items is listed on our website. If you find after ordering the items that they do not work in your application, you can return them for credit.
    When I asked again with:

Me: Are there instructions included with the fittings showing how to assemble them to the hose? I did not see such instructions on the web site.
    McMaster-Carr: No additional information (other than what is on our website) is available for the products we sell.

I did not find their response to be helpful (I'm dismayed with McMaster-Carr, they're always really helpful and their web site is a model for others to mimic). If their policy is no additional information is available other than what is stated on the web site, they might warn people of this policy on their inquiry form, it could save some time and set realistic expectations.

So I come to this forum to inquire if anyone has ever assembled the build-your-own fittings for high pressure hoses? Do you simply insert the hose over a shaft and the screw tighten a threaded nut to create a seal between the hose and the fitting?

Given that my Ingersoll Rand fitting cracked, I'm a bit wary just to willy-nilly start tightening things without so much as a torque specification. I tired to find on the web the manufacturer or some other vendor which might offer insight on the assembly technique and I was unsuccessful.
    John L. Poole

As an alternative--I bought a Hydraulic hose at Tractor Supply for mine. 135lbs of air is an easy life for it compared to hydraulic fluids and pressures.

You won't have any problem assembling these. The fittings are designed to clamp on the PTFE hose and work at ten times the pressure you will be using in an air compressor.

However, this type of assembly is much more expensive than the fittings that are swedged together at your local custom hose company. Around here a quick trip to The Hose Man would get you going quickly. I would imagine that you could walk in with your old hose and leave with an assembled hose for no more than you would pay McMaster for the fittings and hose.

I see the sizes only go up to 7/8" so I assume you have a small compressor and that is large enough.

I had not considered a local solution... I often find what I need unavailable in Napa. However, if I think generically as you have suggested, then opportunities may be there. I'll definitely call some of the hydraulic hose related businesses tomorrow -- thanks for the tip!
    John L. Poole

I visited their web site, but found searching for what I wanted problematic. Thanks, anyway.
    John L. Poole

I pass by various "The Hose Man" stores so assumed they were everywhere. Now I see they are just all over the LA area. If this is the output from the compressor to the cooler or the tank then you want a PTFE hose due to the temperature. Places that are strictly hydraulics might not have that type of hose but they could.

If you are comfortable replacing the hose, you will have no problem assembling the "build your own hose". Once you see the hose and fittings, you will understand the way they go together.

John,
    As an alternative, check out surpluscenter - they have a variety of hydraulic hose sizes/lengths for reasonable prices.
    Murray

Do you have a TSC store nearby? They sell hydraulic hoses with pipe thread fittings, so if your existing fittings are pipe thread, they will fit.

Quote Originally Posted by John Poole View Post
    If their policy is no additional information is available other than what is stated on the web site, they might warn people of this policy on their inquiry form, it could save some time and set realistic expectations.
    John,
    Not to sound mean but McMaster Carr and the like are geared towards dealing with the industrial market where people who know what they want, and how it works, go to get components. They are not anything like Woodcraft, Rockler, and so on. They are of course not averse to taking anyone's money, but they are not your typical retail outlet so to speak.

Its a little unrealistic to think they would be able to walk a retail customer through the assembly, design, specifications, of all the products they sell. The general routine would be to look at the item in question, then go to the manufacturer of that item's site, and find the information you need there. These places simply dont provide that level of service and to be honest I always find it odd when retail customers shop there because the prices are outrageous most of the time and you get little to no service which would normally equate to a discount outlet. They discount large commercial accounts which is what keeps them in business.

I would guarantee you a search of your local area would find you a Parker Hannifin, Aeroquip, Weatherhead, or any other number of industrial hose, distributor who could give you a couple options of items that would fit your bill. Explain a bit to you about pro's and con's, and answer a few questions. I live in the boon-docks and I can get to two or three options within 45 minutes.

As has been mentioned, all the options out there are unreal overkill. The main issue you would be looking at is heat, and delamination of the inner tube due to the compressor. Delaminating isnt an issue with the PTFE but the temperature may shorten its life a tad depending on how hard you push your compressor.

A friend owns a Parker distributorship I worked at for a while, if it were me, I would be looking for an all metal option. Maybe something like:

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00060104/...FSKCQgodVgQAlQ

It isnt something you can assemble yourself and wont be cheap but I believe all metal is what you want coming off a compressor.