Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cherry Kitchen Build Completed

Beautiful work! Love the design of the room too!

appreciate all the lower drawers. To me they make more sense than doors even with pullouts. That's what I did a few years back. Use the same pulls as well.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Fantastic cabinet work. Don't know if anyone else asked this. What type of finish did you use on the doors/drawer fronts/face frames and solid wood portions. thanks.

One coat of General Finishes Seal-a-cell, and three coats of satin GF Arm-r-seal.

A reputation for craftsmanship is a responsibility
    to never take lightly.

Magnificent!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Blog Entries
    Absolutely stunning, the lighting really compliments it as well. I've built a couple kitchens my self, they're no easy task.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

7. One coat of General Finishes Seal-a-cell, and three coats of satin GF Arm-r-seal.
    Jeff,

I'm fairly new to the area of fine finishing and looking for direction how to finish hickory cabinet doors I'm building. I think I decided to use Arm-r-seal. Can you provide some comments or detailed process you followed on your cabinets? Or point me to a thread or other resources available. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Heil View Post
    Attachment 260274Attachment 260275Attachment 260276Attachment 260277Attachment 260278Attachment 260279Attachment 260280

Finished our kitchen cabinet project. Built the cabinet boxes from pre-finished 3/4 birch plywood. Face frames and doors are all from cherry with 3" rails and styles. Uppers were built without center stiles to be more open. Used KV full extension drawer guides with the soft close feature and blumotion soft close hinges. Tops are quartz. A much bigger project than it seemed like, especially with also installing the hickory hardwood floors and all the tile in the new house along with all the other little projects, including three matching bathroom vanities and laundry room base cabinets and uppers. Need to do the tile backsplash at some point yet, but glad to be in the new house and enjoying the kitchen.
    Very impressive

After having your kitchen for a year or so are you glad you did it yourself? Was it worth the effort? Anything you would have done differently?

That is a kitchen I would be proud to eat in!!
    "A true man does not only stand up for himself, he stands up for those that do not have the ability to".
    William Lyon MacKenzie King

Very nice work. Just one question...is there a reason why you made the pull out pantry double shelves instead of one larger pull out? I'm designing a similar one, but hadn't thought of that design.

Thanks, Dan

We still want to add an additional pull out to the pantry for cans. This would allow one layer of cans instead of stacking them up. Otherwise very happy with how it turned out. Glad we added 12" deep cabinets under the island overhang along the front of the island for less used items, as it's full!

It was completely worth the effort. Lots of work, but being able to customize to our family's needs was beneficial. Also nice that I can build the office cabinets to match once we decide how we want to do that room.

to never take lightly.

Primarily for strength. The pantry unit is 96" high and 30" deep as it sits next the the fridge and we wanted to build that into the cabinetry so it did not stick out 6" from the front of the cabinets. It seems fridges are getting deeper and at our previous house the fridge stuck out 6" and looked ugly.

I ran a vertical 3/4 plywood divider to stiffen up the cabinet and provide a mounting surface for the slides. Keep in mind my pullouts are 28" deep. The slides for the big lower unit drawers were extra heavy duty file cabinet slides and pricey. For what it's worth, those two drawers are some of our favorites in the entire kitchen. The bottom one has breakfast cereals and breakfast foods our kids (5+7 yrs old) can easily reach and get to for breakfast and the top one is used for snacks, lunch boxes and items for packing lunches. We saw the idea at a high end cabinet shop and incorporated it into our designs.

The other reason for the divided sliders was many of the slides I looked at were not rated for wider than 24" or so. My pantry unit is 39" wide. Making a wider pullout would also require opening both doors each time. I hope that helps you in your planning to understand my thought process.
    Last edited by Jeff Heil; 04-10-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo

to never take lightly.