Thread: Blue spruce chisels?

Blue spruce chisels?

Web site has been stating that they have 'supplier issues' for some time now. I also read a review about some new firmer chisels by BS, yet no mention on the web site. Anyone know what is up with BS these days?

I took a quick (but not exhaustive) look around the BST site and didn't see the notice about supplier issues you mentioned. I've bought a bunch of tools from Dave over the years, and his work is great and he's an extremely nice and reliable guy. Try an email--he's always responded quickly to any questions I've had about my purchases. HTH,
    Tony

Normal growing pains, methinks.

Small success at onsie-twosies, ramps up to handle larger orders - not so easies.
    Margins on this stuff are pretty small, if you count the hours.

I've got a set of these - I reach for my circa - 1970's Marples set, instead.
    The steel on the BS chisels is so cussed hard, it takes me forever to get the damn things sharp.

One hamfisted mis-step and I'm back to grinding away again.
    When they're sharp - they're awesome.

Getting them that-a-way - PITA.

Just thought I would check-in with everyone and give you the scoop on what is going on.
    Blue Spruce Toolworks is alive and well. We have moved out of my home shop and into a larger space which has been really nice. My dovetail, paring, fishtail, skews and detail chisels are in full production. However, I have had some difficult supplier issues regarding my bench, butt and firmer chisels. After launching the Bench Chisel product line it was too much for the initial supplier so I found a good shop that could make the chisel bladesfor a reasonable price and at a high level of quality. All was going well until he decided to go and work for someone else. This was right in the middle of a very large order for blades and pretty much left me high and dry. I have a new supplier working on bringing them back into production but it is taking WAY longer than it should. I apologize for this delay. I am currently working on a second source for the blades. The Firmer chisels are in the same situation. After making a small pre-production run to prove out the processes, etc. the same supplier was gone. This was right after Chris Swartz wrote a review for Popular Woodworking Magazine. It has been quite a stressful time. I have many customers who have been exceedingly patient and supportive while they are waiting for production to resume. I hesitate to even offer a date as I have been let down too many times, however we are making progress. I am excited about the new shop, new capabilities and some new products I am working on but getting the chisels back into production is my #1 priority after making and shipping orders. my email is dave@bluesprucetoolworks.com if you would like to contact me.
    Dave

Dave,

Good luck, your chisels are awesome, and so are the striking knives. The only problem is they are so pretty, you almost hate to use them. In fact I usually only use the chisels to clean up dovetails that will show on what passes for my version of "fine" furniture. It took me a few sharpenings to get them as keen as they were out of the box, but wow do those things do a sweet job. I guess I've had mine for at least five years and they still look great. In fact your marking knife and chisels gave me the confidence to cut the really narrow dovetails on small drawer parts.

Dave,

I think that it is great that you are getting out on the forums and being open about this. Reasonable people will appreciate that in the long run, and your honesty and open communication should pay off in the long run. Growing pains can often be a bit on the painful side, but with perseverance, I'm sure that you will come out on top. Your tools are top notch, and keeping them that way without compromise will benefit your business in the long run.

Good luck and enjoy working in your new space.
    Jeff

Thanks John. Since I make them all the time, I do not fear using them but I know what you mean. I purchased a beautiful Kimber rifle for my 50th birthday (a couple of years ago) and I am paranoid about taking it out and having fun with it! I am glad the tools are inspiring confidence.
    Dave

Jeff,
    I hope to be able to use the new shop to produce some new products. I will be doing a short piece on my blog (someday soon) showing the new shop. It is very industrial but that's okay with me for now.
    Dave

Dave,

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but have you considered offering your chisels, especially the long paring chisels, in O1? I believe the Chris Schwarz article said you were planning on making the firmer chisels in O1. I prefer more frequent, but faster, sharpening with the softer steel. But maybe that's just because I use oilstones.

Also, maybe somebody can explain firmer chisels to me. I was under the impression that firmer chisels were a step between bench and morticing chisels and meant to take a beating. The Blue Spruce firmer chisels that Schwarz reviewed seem more like what I've always thought a paring chisel to be - long and thin for delicate work. Is a firmer chisel just a dovetail paring chisel without the sloped edges?

Thanks for dropping in with an update.

Sean

I thought "firmer" chisels had some sort of shock absorbing material between the steel and the handle.

I'm seeing lots of reference to firmer chisels as being flat on their sides, instead of ground to a bevel.
    I believe the designation of "firmer" meant that they could take more robust blows than the finer tools.

But whadda I know?

Dave,

From someone in a not too dissimilar boat, all I can offer is some mutual condolences and a hearty good luck.

Forced growth is always a shambles...

Stu.

(Nursing a tooth that's had it roots ripped out a few years ago, but has decided to make it's angst known once again...)

Dave, Thank you very much for your detailed response to my inquiry. I wish you every measure of success with your recent expansion and pending supplier issues. I plan on becoming one of your customers in the not so distant future.

Chisel nomenclature is very confusing and I think it is best to just examine the chisel based upon it's design characteristics, geometry, etc. The term "firmer" has been applied to chisels the resemble what I call timber framing chisels but prior to the later 1800's the term Firmer chisel was in reference to a craftsman's standard chisel. They were generally thinner than what we now cal a "bench chisel" but they served the same purpose. The sides were also straight. The bevel edges were not introduced as a standard form until, I believe, the latter 1800's.
    All that being said, my mystical, I hope to be available soon, "firmer" chisels are a nod to the old version that have thinner, tapered blades, use a high carbon steel, and have a standard larger handle with a good rear surface for pushing. They do not have the taper from the front edge of the chisel toward the tang like many very early chisels had; these are not exact reproductions but rather a modern interpretation of what I consider a very useful chisel form.
    I'm sure that there are many historical scholars who can add to or refute my discussion on chisel terms. So let's hear them!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jeske View Post
    Jeff,
    I hope to be able to use the new shop to produce some new products. I will be doing a short piece on my blog (someday soon) showing the new shop. It is very industrial but that's okay with me for now.
    Dave
    Dave

I know exactly how you feel. I built my new shop in 2001, and still have insulation for walls! I've yet to have the time to install the tongue and groove paneling I've wanted for.....well......forever!

Cheers,
    Jeff