Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Major Gloat(s)

Wow, congrats on the new place and especially the shop, what a cool place. It ain't going to be fun getting that equipment up there. Good luck and can't wait to see the shop set up!

Corey

Robert,

What a great start for a shop and it has something hard to buy - character!
    Looking forward to seeing the progress pics.

Bob
    bob m

I agree with all the others GREAT SPACE! All "acquired" shop buildings have their own special quirks and tradeoffs. But you'll make it work to your advantage. I sure wish I had part of your headroom. Enjoy the process. Don't forget to post pictures of the trials and tribulations, as well as the situations that work out just right. Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARINO
    What a great start for a shop and it has something hard to buy - character!
    You should see the house, Bob...you'd really like the A&C/Bungalow style! Much character.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    You should see the house, Bob...you'd really like the A&C/Bungalow style! Much character.

Ok, Robert,

How about some pics of the house while your at it ?
    bob m

The house

I promise to post some pictures of the house once I get the home PC set up (it as the correct software on it.) to process the picture (they are currently too large...)

Here is a shot of the floor. It is oak for the main body with an accent strip around every room of two pieces of black walnut sandwiching a piece of curly maple.

More to come.

Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Robert,

What type of spray insulation do you plan on using? We used Icynene insulation in our current house, and on the addition to our last house. Spray foam isulations are, without a doubt, the best there is.

I have a similar situation to your barn. We have a finished room over the garage. It's really not more than a finished storage room. The installer recomended spraying the foam directly to the underside of the roof sheathing. If I was able to do it again, I would probably place a thin reflective blanket-type insulation between the foam, and the sheathing. As good as this insulation is, it still gets a little warm in that room. I think it might have helped, and it couldn't have hurt to try. Roof/Wall spaces are the hardest to insulate. In your case you, since you have "skip sheathing" you need to cover it before spraying. this will keep the foam from forcing itself out through the gaps, and possibly damaging that slate roof. At the very least cover it with rosin paper. If you do decide to use the mylar blanket insulation, you will probably have to cover it as well with rosin paper. The foam apparently doesn't react well when sprayed on other insulation materials.

Assuming you are installing one, do you plan on putting your DC system beneath the floor? I hope so, I think that it the absolute best way to go.

Insulation

Bill,

I think that as a vendor, Icynene is going ot get the nod. They seem to be the most well respected and have the availability to do the job. I am going to have the attic space in the house done as well. The roof is T&G Beadboard (IN THE BARN and the house!!!) and the "featherboard edged" pine will need to be caulked and painted before we have them in to do the insulation....plenty of projects for the Summer. We also need to decide about the windows...I hate to take them out, but spending this kind of money on insulation etc. it would be a shame to let all of the BTU's rush out the windows.

Here is a shot of the backyard. Sat there with my dog on the flagstone patio...felt like a king for a while....time to get back to work.

BTW, I will selling a smaller Oneida cyclone to pick up a "gorrilla" and it will definately be in the downstairs space, with the main lines run under the floor. I will also have the filter in the upstairs space, to keep all of the heated or cooled air (meaning less humid) in the space.

Thanks,

Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Robert Tarr; 05-16-2005 at 10:10 AM.

Wow, they used beadboard sheathing, that is impressive. I couldn't tell from the pictures, it just looked like some form of skip sheathing.

We really love the icynene insulation. Very airtight and efficient stuff. Also it's fun to watch it being installed.

I'd still recomend the reflective insulation layer between the foam and the roof. Particularly on any south or SW facing section. The room over our garage is totally encapsulated on all sides with the foam insulation, but on a sunny day it can still be 15 degrees higher than the adjacent room (w/out the A/C on).

That's good that your're doing the DC system below. It really is the ideal setup. After all you've got gravity working in your favor, and think about how quiet it will be. Probably so quiet you'll forget to turn it off.

Keep us posted on your progress. BTW my lawn mower looks an awful lot like yours, 'cept it's green (JD2210).