Thread: Saw File Vendor Recommendation

Saw File Vendor Recommendation

After a number of interactions with them, I feel comfortable recommending a vendor for saw files.

NOTE: I have NO relation to the vendor or any of its employees beyond placing one moderately sized order and interacting with their customer service folks today.

I looked around for good pricing on files and the best I could find is B2BProfessionals. At least for Grobet American pattern three-square taper files they only sell them by the dozen, but the price per unit ranges from around $4 to below $3, and they have a wide variety of lengths and tapers. Shipping is relatively expensive but it's a flat charge per package so if you buy a number of different file types, shipping cost per unit drops nice and low.

This comes up because I've been magnetically attracting more and more handsaws lately and I need to do a major session with them, sharpening each one and re-toothing some. I started shopping around for files and this is the only vendor that I could find who sold Grobet files in bulk. The cost of buying enough files in a onesy-twosy fashion to refurbish a dozen or so full-sized saws climbs alarmingly quickly.

FYI. I hope this helps anyone else out there with a "saw problem" that needs to do a healthy amount of sharpening.

Good to know. I wonder if it'd be worth setting up a group buy for folks who don't need a dozen . . .

I've been rehabbing some saws lately, and doing the major reshaping with whatever's at hand and I got cheap, and the final sharpening pass with a Grobet in an attempt to save my nicer files. No idea if it's actually working.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Looks like they have good prices on 3M paper as well.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum