Thread: 3520 users!!!

3520 users!!!

This may seem a little stupid, but I was wondering if any of you powermatic 3520 users could help me out, abt 3-4 week ago I got a new 3520 (Jet in UK not powermatic but same machine) and I was wondering how much weight/tension I should put on the drive belt??? I notice the drive spindle on the motor is pretty long so don't want to wreck/knacker the bearing in the motor, but then again i don't want belt slippage too often, it's almost 4-5 year since I had a belt drive lathe (had dvrxp before this 3520) and so I am a little rusty when it comes to belts, so how much play should there be on the belt, 1/4inch??? 1/2inch???
    the manual that is supplied with the machine is rubbish and mentions nothing of such matters!!!

One more thing, how do you get the tailstock quill to pieces/out for cleaning and lubrication? Do you just keep winding and the quill will come out in your hand when it reaches the end of the thread???

Please understand, if these questions seem a little silly it's just that I don't want to break things, hence I ask the experts (you guys who have had the 3520 for some time, and know it inside and out!)

Thanks so much!!!

Welcome to the 3520 user club. I have had my 33520B for about 5+ years and don't know all the answers for sure. I usually don't try to force the belt too tight, but do add just a little force to the lever in addition to the motor weight. That usually takes care of most belt tension problems unless really hogging out material on a large diameter piece and then there might be some belt slippage. If I encounter belt slippage, then I try to tighten more or let it be a lesson to back off a little.

The quill will come out if you keep winding it out and it becomes unscrewed. You do have to pull it out by hand at that point. I messed up some of the markings on my quill using a mesh pad to remove sap and would caution against that. Some mineral spirit and then wax is a better method that I learned later.

-- -do what Thomas said. Philip
    Philip

Sounds like Thomas has you covered pretty well. I am a new owner of a 3520B also and have a question for the more experienced. The live center inner pin point on my Oneway live center knocks out easily but the pin on the 3520B live center doesn't. They are very similar, only difference is one is chrome and the other is black. So far I have been unable to remove the pin and am wondering if maybe it doesn't come out. I like to use another larger pin that come with the Oneway live center to turn pens between centers. It hasn't been a problem as all I have to do is change the live center but was wondering if the Powermatic live center pin would come out. I have used some force on it and have soaked it in WD40 . This is probably as clear as mud.
    Fred

5. I put next to no pressure on the lever to tension the motor one finger at the most. I think it is a good safety issue if you get a nasty catch which l hear other people have l would rather the belt slip than the piece be torn off the lathe and come flying at your head. That in turn teaches you to take a light and correct cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    wondering if the Powermatic live center pin would come out. I have used some force on it and have soaked it in WD40 .

The one on mine sometimes gets quite well lodged in there, especially after turning green wood. I've had to bang pretty hard to get mine out. Use PB-Blaster or Kroil penetrating oil when WD40 isn't enough. Also, you may try using a hook tool or dental pick to scrape out any wood particles or residue that may keep the penetrating oil from getting into the tip socket.

As to the questions of the original poster, I too use very little pressure on the belt. Too much will put a lot of stress on the motor bearings that is completely unnecessary. The weight of the motor alone should be just about enough for any turnings. I even loosen the belt occasionally if I am coring a stubborn or stringy wood. Slipping is better than breaking.....
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 04-20-2013 at 9:45 AM.

I pretty much let the weight of the motor supply the tension. I even core that way. If I get a belt squeak it reminds me I am probably using too much pressure. When I turn bowls 12 plus inches, I switch to the slower pulley and let the motor run faster. That gives me more torque. Good luck with the new lathe. It is a wonderful machine, especially for the price. There is a website dedicated to the PM 3520. Lots of useful information. http://mustardmonster.weebly.com/
    faust

Thanks guys, these forums are so helpfull, from now on I will use the motor weight plus a tiny bit more, the reason I ask is I was coring a 13inch bowl last week and got a bad jam, and the belt made a dreadful sound for a few seconds, would this do damage to the belt? I had a good look and could just about see a tiny little bit of an indentation (for lack of a better word) in the ribs (if you was not looking for it you wouldn't know it was there) and the belt still runs 100 percent fine, but would repeated slippage damage the belt and how fast would the belt become unusable, I suppose what i am trying to say is how often do you guys get slippage (where the belt makes noise) and have you ever had to replace a belt on the 3520b???

Sorry for more questions again guys!

Like Faust, The weight of the motor works for me.
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

Quote Originally Posted by mark ravensdale View Post
    Thanks guys, these forums are so helpfull, from now on I will use the motor weight plus a tiny bit more, the reason I ask is I was coring a 13inch bowl last week and got a bad jam, and the belt made a dreadful sound for a few seconds, would this do damage to the belt? I had a good look and could just about see a tiny little bit of an indentation (for lack of a better word) in the ribs (if you was not looking for it you wouldn't know it was there) and the belt still runs 100 percent fine, but would repeated slippage damage the belt and how fast would the belt become unusable, I suppose what i am trying to say is how often do you guys get slippage (where the belt makes noise) and have you ever had to replace a belt on the 3520b???

Sorry for more questions again guys!
    I think that most of answers agree that a little belt slippage tells you something is amiss, and you will normally back off to see what is happening or hit the switch to shut off power. I would not bee to concerned with the belt unless there is significant wear from the slippage/stall when the squeal happens.

Thanks Thomas!