Thread: Metal Lathe for wood work

Metal Lathe for wood work

Hi;
    I new to the forum ut have been doing wood work for a few years but never done any wood turning. I aquired a metal lathe some time back for other reason and was wondering if I could use it for wood work. I know that years ago Craftsman had one that they claimed could be used for this but was just wondering.

db

Hi Don -

Welcome to the Creek. A great place to hang out and exchange ideas.

A metal lathe can be used for turning wood. What sort of tool rest can you fix up (since metal lathes have bits fixed in the rest and the rest moves)? Speed control might also be a consideration. It is sure worth a shot.

Welcome,
    Ted

thanks for the speedy reply

The speed controll shouldn't be a problem since the lathe has a 4 pulley speed adjust system. I was planning on Fabricating some sort of a tool rest that I could fasten on to the cross slide in place of the tool post and then simply lock it into position.
    The lathe can swing up to 19 inches and the tail stock when ectended goes out to 36 inches. I'll try to take some picture so you guys will have some idea as to what I am planning.

db

I Use One

Don, I have a Craftsman/Atlas 12" x 36" lathe that I use for wood turning. While I am a below average turner at best, I do get some things done. It will spin fast enough - though some will say just barely - I generally grip a steel bar in the tool post. I do have a tool rest I can fasten to the bed after removing the carriage, but that is a real hassel. I don't do it often.
    18th century nut --- Carl

Thanks

I looked at the speed changer this morning an I was slightly off. It's only a 3 speed changer 600/1100/1600 RPM. I might look into another pulley set that will get me to 3000 RPM's, or maybe change the motor to a 2 pole then I'll have 1200/2200 and 3200RPM's. I will remove the tool post and cross slide assembly if for no other reason then to keep the whays as open as possible and I don't plan on doing any more metal turning and I could always put them back on.

The lathe is just such a solid piece of machinery I'd hate to have it sit there like it has for the past 5 years.

db