Thread: Flea market find

Flea market find

Stopped by the local flea market yesterday and walked away with this Keen Kutter chisel. It had a funky, lambs wool pad on the end of the handle that was secured with electrical tape. The lady who ran the store suggested I leave it on there. She said it would give my knee a soft place to push against! Not really sure what she thought this was used for! I took the tape off when I got home and was pleased to see a complete handle in pretty good condition. I'm assuming this is some type of framing slick based off of the overall size. 2" wide blade. Doesn't even look like it's been sharpened before. I'm looking forward to cleaning this up a bit and putting a fresh edge on it. I haven't read much on Keen Kutter chisels. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Oh yeah, I talked her down to $15. Don't think that's a bad price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't believe you removed the ultra-rare knee wool push pad.

Seriously, though, I think you did well. That's quite a piece of steel. That should be useful for construction of workbenches or any large project.

Timber framers often pad the ends of their slicks so when pushing on them with their chests/shoulders, to have a little extra padding. I doubt it was for knee knocking, but one never knows....
    Jeff

I suspect that whoever last owned this used it to lay carpet.