Thread: Rusting cans.

Question Rusting cans.

I took an old upright freezer last fall to put in my garage to keep my paint, glue and thinners in. I put a small 15 watt light in the bottom to prevent freezing as I had no heat in the garage at that time. It keep the temp around 50-60 f when the garage would get down to 10-15 f . My problem is that all of the metal containers form heavy rust on the cans. I am not sure why or how to prevent it. I am hoping to use the freezer during the summer as it get over 100f here for several days in row during the summer. Any suggestion on how to prevent rust?

Cecil,
    A small dehumidifier rod like the golden rod linked below. I was skeptical at first, but bought one when my gun safe was in the unfinished portion of my basement because I noticed some surface rust forming on several of my rifles. This was all it took to eliminate the humidity and prevent the rust from ever forming again. Depening on how humid you garage/freezer is this might be just the trick and they aren't too expensive.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/113...ifier-rod-110v

If it is really airtight (which it's likely to be as a freezer) you may need just a bit of ventilation through it. Not giant airflow, but enough to let out what ever moister is in there.

I have a cheap wood (Big Orange Store) cupboard that I lined with 1/2 rigid foam board and then put a 40 watt light fixture on the bottom of the bottom shelf. Keeps it warm and toasty and if it get too cold, put in a 60 watt.

It's not airtight by any stretch of he imagination! 1/16 " crack between the doors and it still works fine.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Porter View Post
    A small dehumidifier rod like the golden rod linked below.
    I'd think that the lightbulb would produce about the same amount of heat. The GoldenRod isn't doing anything special beyond that.