Thread: I think my d/c is begging for more air...

I think my d/c is begging for more air...

I have a nice used Jet 1 1/2hp d/c. I put a Wynn filter on it (smart move on my part ).

It has a 6” inlet and right now I have a Y on it that goes into two 4” inlets. I have one hose running to my tablesaw then the other one on what ever tool I’m working with at the time. I only use one hose at a time and I don’t have a blast gate yet so I just swap the hose out and keep the other hole covered.

I notice when I turn it on there’s some action in the clear bag, but if I crack the cap off the other inlet all he!! breaks loose in the bag. By that, I mean I see more action. Should I be keeping the lid cracked or just let it all suck through the one 4”?

Thanks for ya'll's help...

You can leave both 4" hoses open. One 6" opening equals 2 4" openings, so your machine will handle both 4" openings at once. Plugging one of the openings is only allowing your dc half enough air.

Both open brings more air into the bag but that doesn't automatically mean you are increasing the flow through the hose you are using. Likely that the second gate reduces the flow from the hose. I don't believe opening the second can increase flow to the first. Dave

Troy,

I have had a 1-1/2hp Jet for the last couple of years but am in the process of installing a 5hp Clearvue.. anyway...

Given the 6" to dual 4" adapters (which I have too) it depends on what you are trying to do. If you open only one 4" port your DC's air will be restricted by the amount of air it can draw through the one 4" hose but you'll get pretty good suction at the end.

If you open the second 4" port the DC will get a lot more air but your suction at the end of the 4" hose will drop significantly as will the amount of air drawn through the hose. In other words, less air will come through the hose but lost of air will come through the uncapped port. This will add to the load of the DC while decreasing your dust pickup through the hose.

The best of both worlds comes if you take the adapter off and use a 6" hose, especially if you modify your tool's dust pick-up to be 6". I did that and my dust pickup greatly improved.

Just my experience.. YMMV.

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Both open brings more air into the bag but that doesn't automatically mean you are increasing the flow through the hose you are using. Likely that the second gate reduces the flow from the hose. I don't believe opening the second can increase flow to the first. Dave
    This........
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Good info ya'll! My unscientific observation was when I would open the cap on one of the inlets, the hose would actually "relax" a little, then when I cap it, it would constrict some. It just seemed like I was doing it an injustice not letting the dust swirl around in the bag, but I guess as long as I am getting some good suction at the tool, that's the main objective. I'll probably evetually upgrade to 6" hoses or dust, but for the hobbyist, I reckon I'm ok with 4" for now.

I would guess that when you open the second port it would reduce the airflow thru the one with the duct connected because the airflow resistance will be less thru the open port than thru the duct. If you need more than one duct, put a blast gate on each port and only open the one you are using.

Troy,
    I have the same system, and I will second your observation about the swirling. When I have two ports open, there is a noticable difference in the sound of the fan. I'm going to redo my system, but it is a work in progress.