Thread: Help with Identifying a Hand Saw

Help with Identifying a Hand Saw

I recently purchased an old hand saw, and would like to know if anyone could give me any information on it. When I got it it was covered in rust and pretty dull. After sharpening a few saws and wet sanding with simple green, I figured I should give a shot at cleaning this one up. I had to make a new horn and glue a crack int the handle. I used Minwax paste wax on the handle, and found out that the cherry I used was far lighter than the walnut of the original. But, it works.
    After sanding the blade, I can make out an etching, but no name. Identity isn't of great importance, but I'm curious. The etch reads;

The Celebrated
    London Spring Steel

An Eagle, holding a branch- Looking to the handle

Pat (or) Patent Ground

I've only found one reference to this etching. http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php?message_id=50626.

If anyone has seen a saw like this, your information would be appreciated. Like I said, it seems to cut pretty well, so a name would only be icing on the cake.

Thank you

There was a thread earlier this year with a saw with a somewhat similar etch. One of the suggested possibilities was Woodrough & McParlin.

Blog Entries
    Could the metal plate be a manufactured repair piece made by Disston or some other saw manufacturer? I thought I read somewhere that Disston or someone made repair plates for the bottom and side of saw handles?

I can't help with who actually made it, but the term "The celebrated" was a term commonly used on english tools, waterstones (which actually originated from germany) and razors. And I'm sure it ended up on a lot of other things.

That doesn't necessarily mean that's an english saw, it could just be a maker from elsewhere who copied the terminology.

Shaffer's Hand-saw Maker's of North America lists a Geo Bishop #110 model: "The Celebrated" London Spring Steel.
    Interestingly enough, it looks similar to a saw I once owned -- A Harvey Peace #110 "Good as Gold" model w/black wlanut handle.
    DSCN4978.jpg
    Last edited by Joe Bailey; 04-23-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Thank you gentlemen for the information. Andrae, I had seen that thread in my searching. I previously discounted it, since there was no eagle. After looking at my saw again the eagle is holding three arrows in the foot towards the tote and a branch in the other. Also, the words appear to be in a banner. Mike, I have read about saw manufacturers putting plates on the totes of their low end models. The plate on this saw wasn't covering any repairs, the repair I made was a crack in the lower part of the finger hole. Joe, that looks like a very nice saw that you had. I'll do some more searching into those models and see if I can't find anything.
    I've looked for as long as my eyes will let me this evening, but can't make out anything certain on the etching. It looks like an "NO" or 'ND" below the Patent Ground. There also seems to be some larger letters above and below the etch, but they could also be figments of my imagination. I don't have a good camera, but was able to at least get a couple of letters and a bit of the eagle to come out.

While looking up the information you guys had listed, I also found http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthr...fpart=all&vc=1. The etch on the Woodrough and McParlin saw looks very much like the etching on my saw.
    Last edited by Daniel Sutton; 04-23-2013 at 9:36 PM. Reason: typo