Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I Don't Have a Cell Phone

I believe the statement "I can not live without my cell phone" is more troublesome than the statement "I choose to not have a cell phone".
    Nice Ash Planes

Smartphone are awesome...nothing like having access to info when you need it. I use it a fair amount for navigation or when the hankering hits, a good Chinese restaurant or reviews on a movie or what have you. I don't actually talk on it very much.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

If you dial 911 from a landline in your home they tie it to your address should you drop the phone trying to save your loved one or hiding from a intruder.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

My mom is a landline-only person. She drives a lot and her car is getting old/unreliable. I was just out in California recently, visiting her, and we actually got into a bit of an argument about this. My point being that she is getting old and what if she broke down somewhere or had a medical event? Of course, a million excuses and reasons why she saw no point to any of this, all basically boiling down to "fear of change". Very frustrating...

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

If you dial 911 from a cell phone, they also are required to tie it to a physical location for response--only it is generated by GPS in the phone or tower triangulation rather than an index.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    My mom is a landline-only person. She drives a lot and her car is getting old/unreliable. I was just out in California recently, visiting her, and we actually got into a bit of an argument about this. My point being that she is getting old and what if she broke down somewhere or had a medical event? Of course, a million excuses and reasons why she saw no point to any of this, all basically boiling down to "fear of change". Very frustrating...
    They make cell phones especially for seniors that simply have a couple of buttons of which one is for 911. You could buy one for her if she won't buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    They make cell phones especially for seniors that simply have a couple of buttons of which one is for 911. You could buy one for her if she won't buy one.
    two or more questions, 1st when was this cell phone first made for the seniors 2nd are we talking about high school seniors 3rd what is the cost 4th who sell them 5th MAY I PLEAD THE FIFTH

I've had pager/cellphones since the early 90's and have gone through all of the evolution process, Blackberry, Android and now Apple. My wife & I both have IPhones and IPad's. I also have a Mac Air Pro laptop and a Dell Desktop. The Mac Pro I keep out in my shop except when traveling.
    I'm 67 yrs. old and have been fooling with computers since the 80's. If I forget my cellphone when I leave home I feel like I'm not fully dressed. I love being able to text my kids and grandkids anytime and to respond back to them quickly. I don't talk a whole lot on the phone but use it for looking things up on the go. Also, use it as a GPS sometimes.
    My wife had a old flip phone and I got her an IPhone a couple of years ago and she wouldn't part company with it if her life depended on it. Then she got an IPad and that was the icing on the cake. All of her knitting friends have smartphones/tablets so they sit and knit and talk. They even do facetime.
    As to a landline, I ditched that about 10 yrs ago as soon as cable internet came to our town.
    I'm just an old techie I guess.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    two or more questions, 1st when was this cell phone first made for the seniors 2nd are we talking about high school seniors 3rd what is the cost 4th who sell them 5th MAY I PLEAD THE FIFTH
    I've seen ads for this cell phone for seniors (elderly) for years. I can't find a website, but I have seen the ads for them in magazines in waiting rooms.

Cellphone for seniors Jitterbug Endorsed by AARP
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Reasons View Post
    Cellphone for seniors Jitterbug Endorsed by AARP
    many thanks, I saw this before in AARP magazine but guess it were forgot

The phone for seniors I'm thinking of was not the Jitterbug. It had no number buttons and it only had buttons for 911 and a few other things. One of the buttons may have been for an emergency contact like a son or daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The phone for seniors I'm thinking of was not the Jitterbug. It had no number buttons and it only had buttons for 911 and a few other things. One of the buttons may have been for an emergency contact like a son or daughter.
    sort of like a number that you enter once , If I search the AARP site , will I find this phone

Now I know why my friends said "good for you, I wish I could do that"
    When they found out I only had a land line.

I now have a cell and no landline. It's a little like opening a pandora's box. I know I'll get into it. I remember feeling overwhelmed when I first used a computer.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I wouldn't be here if I didn't have a cell phone. When I had my first heart attack I was just three feet inside the door of my workshop and went down to the floor. I was unable to move but my cell phone was in my shirt pocket and I was able to call my daughter in the house.

Mine is a cell phone love/hate relationship, I would love to not have to carry a phone but I have to admit that they are convenient and in an emergency can save your life.