Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I Don't Have a Cell Phone

I haven't had a landline for almost 10 years. There are a variety of reasons, chief being that I've been technically homeless and/or living on the road for large chunks of that time. Since getting jobs is a lot easier when people can call you, I've kept a cell phone the entire time. My current is an average smart phone, which costs me $40 a month for unlimited talk, text and data.

I don't find it necessary to leave my phone at home in order to ignore it. I'm quite capable of doing so either intentionally or unintentionally.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I found more reasons to have a cell phone than I found to not having one.
    My son added me and my ancient "flip phone" to his plan for a whopping $5.00 a month.

My wife bought a pre-paid phone for what works out to be $10.00 a month.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post

Related, why fax? I've had to send one fax in the last year to some backwards company. I haven't received a fax in at least a year.
    I heard fax had a mini resurgence in the wake of Sarbanes-Oxley. Shred a fax and it's gone, unlike email. I don't know if there's a trail using something like efax or not.

OK I'm gonna chime in here. seems one of the reasons for this topic is to save money and be connected. I have a cheap net10 phone from wally world that I fill auto 200 mins each month for $15 and it never runs out of mins and the mins roll over if not used. I only use the cell when I'm on the road. My house phone is a Magic Jack which I think I pay $20 per year for phone service and 911 does work on that. I have no cable tv I watch all my tv on the 42" Plasma in my living room over the internet. Just connect the tv to the computer with a monitor cable easy. I never run out of things to watch and its free except for the cost of my internet $45 a month. I get all my local news stations plus local tv from any part of the world that broadcasts live on the net and most do. Its cool to keep an eye on news and weather from were the kids live. Also I hooked up a decent set of speaker to the computer so all my CD's play on it and you get virtually every radio station in the world. So i can listen to music from any country I want. You'd be surprised at the great music that comes from all over the world that most people here in the US never hear. So I have everything everyone else has and maybe more for what :
    Internet $45 mo
    Cell ph $15 mo
    TV $ 0 mo
    Phone $ 1.60 mo
    Radio $ 0 mo
    Total $ 61.60mo
    Plus you can send and receive all your text message's over the net. I text all my kids phones right from the computer so I don't have to fiddle around with the little buttons on a cell phone, and they text me back I can read it cause its on the big screen LOL so my bad ears and eyes aren't a big problem.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks Bert. Good info on costs.
    Saving money is important to me. The need to be connected? I'm not so sure I have that need. I feel plenty connected with the people in my life now on my end. I do feel less connected to my wife and family because of their "need to be connected".
    My wife is on Facebook and texting all the time. She's often to busy to converse with a real human in the room. I love her and she accepts my eccentric ways, so it works out.

I have a cell phone that I keep attached to a charger in my car. Use it about 10 minutes a year, but if I ever need it, the $120/year will seem really cheap.

I'm in the "cell phone-less" category too.

I worked many years in the tech field and know all about their capabilities--I'm cell-phones-less by choice.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

If I paid for my cellphone myself I would probably dump my land line and just be cell phone only. I wouldn't get a smart phone because they cost too much. My land line is cheap because I use OOMA and pay under $5 a month.

Blog Entries
    We ditched our cell phones about a year ago. We do not have cell service in our immediate area. Have to drive a mile or so. We only go into town once a week if we do not have appointments. I sometimes wouldn't get into town for two weeks at a time before running out of one of the essentials like milk, coffee or toilet paper.

The most use we got out of our cell phones was when we got separated while at Costco or Fred Myers.

Now we just find each other the old fashioned way of remembering what the other is wearing and searching the aisles.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    We ditched our cell phones about a year ago. We do not have cell service in our immediate area. Have to drive a mile or so. We only go into town once a week if we do not have appointments. I sometimes wouldn't get into town for two weeks at a time before running out of one of the essentials like milk, coffee or toilet paper.

The most use we got out of our cell phones was when we got separated while at Costco or Fred Myers.

Now we just find each other the old fashioned way of remembering what the other is wearing and searching the aisles.

jtk
    this may not work if one of you are short in height or standing at the end of a aisle

Blog Entries
    this may not work if one of you are short in height or standing at the end of a aisle
    My wife is about 4'10".

This method has worked for me since the 1950s when shopping with my mother. It still works today. The hardest part is to make sure to take notice of what your companion is wearing.

Tie dye can be spotted a long way away.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Ditched the landline when we moved, use just DSL w/o phone. About $5/month more than with LL, but what the heck.
    Daughter and wife and I all have cell phones. I have to have cell for work, on call 24x7. I could probably ditch wife's, but I want to get her when she's out. Just upgraded to smartphone and as other's have stated, GPS, internet is great on the go. I'd probably not go without it.

If your only phone are a cell phone and you need to key in your birthday numbers for I . D. 2 # for month ,2 # for the day, 4 # for the year, HOW WILL YOU HANDLE THIS PROBLEM ?

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    If your only phone are a cell phone and you need to key in your birthday numbers for I . D. 2 # for month ,2 # for the day, 4 # for the year, HOW WILL YOU HANDLE THIS PROBLEM ?
    Huh? Are you talking about using your phone with an automated system? Cell phones can do this just fine. If taking it away from your ear is a problem turn on the speaker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    We keep a land line for the faxing I need to do and we pay $22 a month for it. Is there a cell phone cheaper than that? I'd get one to save a few bucks.
    Some options for cheap phone service:
    1) Buy an old/used phone and don't activate it (911 use only).
    2) Get some cheap phones that don't use data and get a family plan with shared minutes. I'm averaging under $20/mo per phone before I add in texting and data.
    3) Get an itouch or other compute device with wifi. Add a headset. Get a free softphone application (Skype, etc.). You can now make free outgoing calls but can't receive calls. There are various companies where you can buy an incoming phone number for a set amount per month. This works pretty well but requires some fiddling and computer savvy.