Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Bench Gets Shod...

The Bench Gets Shod...

I guess you could say that I've officially begun the process of putting some real storage under my Adjust-A-Bench--starting from the bottom. As mentioned in last week's Weekend Accomplishments thread, I milled up the old lumber I had removed from the mantel in the great room to make some sturdy "feet" for the bench system. I would have liked to complete them during the week, but was a thousand miles away in Miami all week on business. (The weather was absolutely glorious, however... ...too bad I was inside of a communications lab most of the time )

So here is the result as shown below--a simple part of the project, but an important one since the stability of the bench depends upon its contact with the floor. I think this stuff is very old Douglas Fir or something similar. 'Hard to tell as it has absolutely no smell it's so old, yet I know it's a softwood and quite hard. No matter...it's perfect for the job and the price couldn't be beat! Interestingly enough, these feet required the use of the J/P, TS, CMS, BS, Festool 150/2, Festool OF1010, Festool TDK drill/driver and...the drill press (to cut some plugs to fill screw holes). Nothing like spreading around the work!

Of course...now I need to design the cabinet that will rest just above those feet. And I'm looking forward to this project as I really, really, really need to get all my hand tools, etc., consolidated into one place in the shop and under the bench makes the most sense. Especially since I have near-zero wall space available for nice tool cabinets.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-14-2005 at 8:54 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey Jim, Nice looking feet there. I can't wait to see the storage and it makes sense to me to store the hand tools there. I forgot where I saw it but somebody did a storage unit with a shelf just above it and below the bench top. He kept his planes on the top shelf which made it really handy and then had all the storage below. BTW where did you get the adjustabench? I remember your post from before but can't remember where you got it. Alan in Md.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Very country look, Jim. I would think that is douglas fir, from its appearance. How are they attached to the legs?
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Good for you Jim. Can't wait to see the rest of this project come together.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    Very country look, Jim. I would think that is douglas fir, from its appearance. How are they attached to the legs?
    Lag bolts through existing holes in the steel that are there for the purpose. They aren't going to fall off!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Tolchinsky
    I forgot where I saw it but somebody did a storage unit with a shelf just above it and below the bench top. He kept his planes on the top shelf which made it really handy and then had all the storage below.
    I can't continue to put stuff, other than easily moved incidentals on a shelf on top of the new cabinet as you can't lower the benchtop all the way down that way. So there will not be anything more than a couple steel rules, pencils and so forth in that area once the cabinet is built.

BTW where did you get the adjustabench? I remember your post from before but can't remember where you got it.
    To the best of my knowledge, they are only sold manufacturer-direct. I bought mine at a show in November or thereabouts.
    --

Thanks Jim, neat site. What you say makes sense about the adjustability and a shelf. I'm waiting on the finished storage project.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

Jim nice work, you now have pretty feet

Corey

Nice feet Jim.

Are you planning to permanently attach the storage unit to the bench or will you make it as a "tool box" that "clips" onto the bench?

Jim,

Very nice it looks like Doug Fir to me.....If it was Jhn Hart's shop , I might have guessed Shlamaca...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Very nice it looks like Doug Fir to me.....If it was Jhn Hart's shop , I might have guessed Shlamaca...
    Yea, well my Shlamaca supply was a little low and it was only available as "new" material. I figured recycled was nice for this project!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Are you planning to permanently attach the storage unit to the bench or will you make it as a "tool box" that "clips" onto the bench?
    The cabinet will replace the oak stretchers that came with my bench as as such, will be a permanent fixture. The lower steel structures will be bolted into the carcass...and there will be no chance of racking after things are cranked down!

BTW, Frank...why did your Yahoo IM last night indicate you'd been "Idle for 35 years" (and I quote what I was actually seeing! I forgot to do a screen scrap to preserve it...)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    BTW, Frank...why did your Yahoo IM last night indicate you'd been "Idle for 35 years" (and I quote what I was actually seeing! I forgot to do a screen scrap to preserve it...)
    I have never used Yahoo IM so I guerss that must be their default that gets shown in such cases. Such a default is usually a result of sloppy design/programming.

I am gessing that IM stands for "instant messaging". Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    I have never used Yahoo IM so I guerss that must be their default that gets shown in such cases. Such a default is usually a result of sloppy design/programming.

I am gessing that IM stands for "instant messaging". Is that correct?
    Yes, instant messaging...and you're currently "on line"...whether you knew it or not!
    --

Nice work Jim. Thanks for the viewing. Good looking bench top. What is it made of? What kind of bench dog holes did you put in it? Keep us posted!
    Even an old blind sow gets an acorn once in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Rudolph
    Nice work Jim. Thanks for the viewing. Good looking bench top. What is it made of? What kind of bench dog holes did you put in it? Keep us posted!
    The top is maple. The dog holes are 3/4" round holes...some open, some filled with wood. You can read more about this bench in these threads:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13609

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13783

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13799
    --

I like 'em Jim! Congrats on getting some work done on it.