Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving a table saw

Moving a table saw

I couldn't easily find an answer with a search here...

I'm picking up a craftsman zip code table saw from a friends house tomorrow...

Here's what I have - a pickup truck, only two guys, ramps, a two wheel dolly and a 4 wheel furniture dolly. Is this unrealistic?

I don't know exactly what the saw weighs. Is there an easy way to split the weight up (remove table?) without a complicated operation?

I'd really appreciate any input.

bring the saw to the back of the truck, flip saw into bed so its now upsidedown. strap down and drive away
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

No idea if a craftsman zip code table saw is a cabinet saw, or contractors style saw. But any table saw is top heavy. I like to move them on their backs or sides if possible. To load, I lay down a sheet of 7/16" OSB on the ground and on the back edge of the bed. If it's really heavy, a couple 2x6's under the OSB helps. Lean the saw back onto the OSB, then lift and slide the saw and OSB into the bed in one motion. It may take some repositioning after the load is in the bed. The OSB will make unloading much easier. If more weight than 2 can manage, rent an engine hoist. I wouldn't want to remove the table, as that will add hours to the setup.

Here is the type of saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

There was a thread on this a week or two ago with pictures of how to flip it in. Flip the saw into the truck so its upsidedown.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

When I picked up my Unisaw all I had was 1 friend to help me, a furniture dolly, my SUV, and a few large pieces of cardboard. We got the saw on to the dolly and wheeled it over to the back of my SUV. Once there I laid out the cardboard to help the saw slide easier and with one lift we tilted the saw on to its side and it was now resting on the back of my SUV. Took us a minute or so to push the entire saw in but the cardboard worked like a charm in making the saw slide freely. The entire 90 minute ride home the saw was on it's side with no issues in the end.

It weighs close to 425# complete. Take the fence and wings off first, and secure or remove the motor, then try the flip move.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've moved my cabinet saw alone, and it's really not that hard at all with the top off. After the top is off, all your left with is a sheet metal box, trunnions, and the motor, which is not very heavy and is easily moved by one guy - hand truck and a ratchet strap.

If you're buying a used saw that you have to move, you're going to want to do a full alignment of the table/blade/fence right? So remove the 4 or 5 bolts and take off the top, in my opinion.

Thanks for the ideas guys - I really appreciate it.

Found out my friend does have a trailer - which I may use instead - quite a bit lower. :-)

I also have a RAS and possibly a planer on a stand to pickup at the same time.

absolutely doable. bevel the motor to 45°. that way the center of gravity is within the cabinet. +1 on scotts comments.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    It weighs close to 425# complete. Take the fence and wings off first, and secure or remove the motor, then try the flip move.
    If you take the wings off, it is annoying to put them back on, but it reduces the weight and the profile making it much easier to move. I moved my SawStop into the basement using a appliance dolly. Put some ply down, flipped it over so the top was on the ply..... I could have taken it down the stairs myself. Well, I did almost all the work, and my two "spotters" were there if needed. The point is that it made it much easier to deal with.

Give us an update on how it worked.

Oh, side note. I rented the appliance dolly from UHaul for about $20. Took less than an hour to go, get the dolly, go home, move the saw, and return the dolly. Money well spent.

I have the exact same Cman table saw. Took me plus 3 of my buddy's to lift it on a dolly, and push it up on a UHaul ramp gate trailer. Wasn't smart enough to think of taking the wings.

I love the saw thought.

Thanks for all the ideas guys. Unfortunately - actually fortunately for me, by buddy came by with a trailer that lined up almost level with the shed it was in. Slid right on with no removing anything except the fence just because.

I'm really happy with it so far - coming from a contractor style saw. It is so quiet running.

Oh, and the price. Free. Given to me by an older friend who is moving and downsizing. I'm very grateful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that's a friend I'd be sad to see go. Is the motor cover missing? It looks to be nice shape otherwise. I had one of those for more than 3 years and loved it. Mine worked great on 220v and with good thin kerf blades. FWIW, the B.O.R.K riving knife will fit that saw, as will Delta throat inserts. Congrats!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    Now that's a friend I'd be sad to see go. Is the motor cover missing? It looks to be nice shape otherwise. I had one of those for more than 3 years and loved it. Mine worked great on 220v and with good thin kerf blades. FWIW, the B.O.R.K riving knife will fit that saw, as will Delta throat inserts. Congrats!
    Yes, the cover is missing. Not sure how that happened. He said he didn't have it but I'm going to hunt around his sheds / garage some to made sure.

Should I try to fabricate something for it urgently or eventually?