Thread: Dust Collection Shed Construction

Dust Collection Shed Construction

I'm fairly new to the Creek (2 months) and to woodworking. My desire to build a crib for my first born jump started my desire to get going. I never imagined how many tools I'd have so quickly! Griz 1023SL, Delta 22-580, used Jet 6" jointer, and a cheap used router table.

Since I can't seem to stop, I went and got a Dust collecter. The Griz 1028Z. I want to make a small shed to house it just outside my garage/shop. Anyone build one and any advice?

I posted some pictures of the tools and the beginning of a crib (headboard shot and the legs). 2 months to go and I still have to finish painting the baby's room. Maybe I will have to let go of the idea that I can build a changing station too before the baby is born. Wish me luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Benante; 05-15-2005 at 5:06 PM.

Jim Welcome to SMC, even though you been here for 3 months.... Let's see some pics of the future DC area.

Joe

Welcome to the creek, Jim. From the picture of your 1023SL, I noticed that you still have the protective plastic film on your fence (it's the stuff with the blue lettering). It comes off, you know. I know this because I also have that saw and it took me a couple weeks before I figured out that I was supposed to take it off. It looks like you have the beginnings of a great shop and good luck with the crib.

Jon

Welcome to Saw Mill Creek Jim. With all that equipment, you certainly seem to be starting your woodworking hobby on the right foot and, with all the pictures, you are starting off your SMC membership on the right foot.

DC shed

Hi Jim,
    I just finished a shed attached to my shop for a cyclone DC unit but haven't ordered the unit yet. Available space allowed 5'x7' with an outward opening door and >10' ceiling height. I drove to Bellingham Saturday for the Griz tent sale hoping to grab a 3hp unit but the only unit left was a 5hp and was a bit oversized for me. The new 2hp and 3hp units are arriving soon and I haven't finished calculating if the 2hp will do or if bigger is better!!! I have the ducting design done so I should be able to figure it out easily.
    I likely would choose the Gorilla from Oneida but shipping costs make the Griz a more economical choice. I have a friend in the HVAC bus. and I plan on using spiral pipe and fabricate most of the fittings.
    I see you are in Woodinville, I live in Edmonds so let me know if you need to see the addition. Good Luck, John.

Jon,

It took me a couple of weeks to realize it too. I decided to leave it on as it hasn't caused me any troubles. I guess I'll have to let go of the brand new feel and peel it off.

Jim

Dust Collection Shed Site

Joe,

Here are a few pics of the area I want to build the structure. It is under a large side deck of the house that serves as a carport adjacent to the garage. Someday I dream of making it into a garage addition and dedicated shop.

Anyway, the structure will hopefully fit between the light and the dryer vent (near the propane tank). The area where the mulch is is foundation on both sides. I am on the slope of a large hill. Since there is siding I am not sure about fitting it right against the house although I would like to. I gave a shot of the garage and deck from the drive for some perspective.

John Bush- I'll take you up on stopping by to see how your DC shed came out. Maybe I'll wait until you get the DC though. I was at the tent sale also. No luck on a DC from the tent though. All gone by the time I made it to the back of the tent.

Thanks everyone.

Jim

Jim, if you learn the proper names for the fish (wall charts), can you just call them into the boat?

Great start on satisfying the WW bug.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

Since you asked Steve......

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stube
    Jim, if you learn the proper names for the fish (wall charts), can you just call them into the boat?

Great start on satisfying the WW bug.
    Knowing the names is better than calling "here fishy, fishy." I speak from experience.

You must be using adjectives too. Here "BIG" fishy, here "BIG" fishy, come to popa. Here "BIG" fishy......... Very nice!
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve