Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: cats

If they're on the seat, I'd sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on it.

Just curious....why do you care if the cats are on the mower? Personally, I encourage my neighbor's cat to come by. Sometimes, when I have my shop door open, it just waltzes in and hangs out while I work. I feed it tuna sometimes. It keeps away the mice. Unless it's causing damage, why not just leave him alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    People with cats do not "own" their cats. The cats own them.

It always seems funny that people who do not own pets somehow feel the animals care givers are able to tell them to stop catching birds, digging in someone else's garden or sleeping in a comfortable place.

Does the cat like to sleep on the seat?

If that is the case, make the seat less attractive with a 5 gallon bucket. Maybe put some moth balls in a porous container on the seat.

The trick is to think like the cat and help it to decide there is some place else they would rather sleep. Maybe a secure, comfortable spot that they can be enticed into using with a little cat nip.

One of the cats that came with our house likes to sleep in our greenhouse at times. To keep her from curling up on top of a flat of plants I placed a cushioned mat in an empty flat and she now sleeps in it.

jtk
    She didn't prefer the box it came in?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Just curious....why do you care if the cats are on the mower? Personally, I encourage my neighbor's cat to come by. Sometimes, when I have my shop door open, it just waltzes in and hangs out while I work. I feed it tuna sometimes. It keeps away the mice. Unless it's causing damage, why not just leave him alone?
    the cats may keep the mice away BUT A FREE MEAL DO NOT GIVE THEM A PERMIT TO URINE AND MARK MY MOWER AS THEIR with their pee

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    the cats may keep the mice away BUT A FREE MEAL DO NOT GIVE THEM A PERMIT TO URINE AND MARK MY MOWER AS THEIR with their pee
    Well there is your answer then...

YOU pee on the mower and the cats will see that it is yours.

As above, a pellet or Airsoft rifle will remedy the situation pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    Well there is your answer then...

YOU pee on the mower and the cats will see that it is yours.

I got too-many female neighbors to do this

a spray of water works to keep cats away..its just how to spray the water when they come around?

Shoot it with a pellet gun. Seriously, Peter? Shoot the neighbor's pet?

Hey, Ray. If peeing is the problem, you need to do two things:

1) clean the area. They have enzymes that will remove the pee smell. If you don't do that, the cat will always come back.
    2) there are things you can plant to keep them away. There's some citronella plant that cats HATE. Put a couple of those around your shed/equipment/whatever, and the cats will go elsewhere

Well, I do think that is a better option than shooting the neighbor.

The world isn't running out of cats.

Ray, hands down, this fellow has the best approach to discouraging cats that I've seen! The video is gut busting funny too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

1) clean the area. They have enzymes that will remove the pee smell. If you don't do that, the cat will always come back.
    2) there are things you can plant to keep them away. There's some citronella plant that cats HATE. Put a couple of those around your shed/equipment/whatever, and the cats will go elsewhere
    I know nothing about citronella plants but you can buy a pot with citronella in it to keep flying bugs away, will this wax work if it are in the pot

I wonder if the wax in a citronella torch will work if it are spread around where you do not want the cats to go

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I know nothing about citronella plants but you can buy a pot with citronella in it to keep flying bugs away, will this wax work if it are in the pot
    Ask around at your local nursery. I wish I knew the name of the plant. It's different than the citronella candles...it's an actual plant that they just really don't like.