Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: cats

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Ask around at your local nursery. I wish I knew the name of the plant. It's different than the citronella candles...it's an actual plant that they just really don't like.
    did a search for citronella plant, one plant that I remember is marigold , it got a odor that I will stay away from

My wife and I had the pleasure of raising a Bob Cat My son worked @ the St Augustine Alligator Farm. A female had twins. One was born dead and the mother rejected the other. The next thing my wife knew was she was again a mother. The facility Vet sent the kitten to us to die we found out later. My wife followed the Vet's directions and fed the little one on a frequent schedule with an eye dropper. At night the kitten resided in a cardboard box @ my wife's side of the bed. In the box was a hot water bottle and a wind up clock. If the kitten made any sound in the night my wife would tend to it. The kitten grew but @ a slower rate than a house cat. She never put out her claws to anyone nor did she bite. We had a 70 lb. male Samoyed and he and the kitten were pals. He would hold the kitten down and wash within an inch of her life. She played like a house cat and slept in our bed. We knew going in that we would not be able to keep her so we turned her over to a couple who rescued animals. We went to see twice. She recognized us both and would rub all over me. She would then very pointedly go to a corner of her huge enclosure and turn her back on me. This was her signal for me to chase her. All in all it was a one in a million life time experience we will cherish to the end of our days. Sorry about no paragraphs but hitting enter will not move the cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Ray, hands down, this fellow has the best approach to discouraging cats that I've seen! The video is gut busting funny too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIbkLjjlMV8

I have fond memories of "Beyond 2000" produced with a similar voice-over.
    That was better than most Hollywood movies, for pure laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Thompson View Post
    My wife and I had the pleasure of raising a Bob Cat My son worked @ the St Augustine Alligator Farm. A female had twins. One was born dead and the mother rejected the other. The next thing my wife knew was she was again a mother. The facility Vet sent the kitten to us to die we found out later. My wife followed the Vet's directions and fed the little one on a frequent schedule with an eye dropper. At night the kitten resided in a cardboard box @ my wife's side of the bed. In the box was a hot water bottle and a wind up clock. If the kitten made any sound in the night my wife would tend to it. The kitten grew but @ a slower rate than a house cat. She never put out her claws to anyone nor did she bite. We had a 70 lb. male Samoyed and he and the kitten were pals. He would hold the kitten down and wash within an inch of her life. She played like a house cat and slept in our bed. We knew going in that we would not be able to keep her so we turned her over to a couple who rescued animals. We went to see twice. She recognized us both and would rub all over me. She would then very pointedly go to a corner of her huge enclosure and turn her back on me. This was her signal for me to chase her. All in all it was a one in a million life time experience we will cherish to the end of our days. Sorry about no paragraphs but hitting enter will not move the cursor.
    thank you for a amazing story

The Sscat and refills are available at PetSmart, and on line.

It's basically the same propellant used to clean photo equipment, with a photoeye.
    I had mixed results with these (neighbor's cat was leaving piles on my porch - better view than his house, I suppose).

Discussions with the neighbors, and photographic evidence made no difference.

I began to collect the offerings and leave them on the neighbors front steps.
    The cat was no longer a problem, after that.

I've heard that leaving gallon jugs of water dissuade cats from marking, but that's apocryphal.

If they're spraying - traps and a call to animal control are appropriate responses.
    It's your property, you're entitled to refuse visitors.

One word... 'Daisy'
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Make up a pad with duct tape or double stick tape and set that where the cat(s) are getting too comfortable. The sticky side up and the more aggressive the tack the more discouraged the cats will be.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    Make up a pad with duct tape or double stick tape and set that where the cat(s) are getting too comfortable. The sticky side up and the more aggressive the tack the more discouraged the cats will be.
    A cardboard frame and duct tape sticky side up are worth trying after it stop raining

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    One word... 'Daisy'
    This side of the 49th parallel, that will get you jail time.
    No kidding.

10. In his early years, Jeffrey Dahmer had the same disregard for animal life that some posters have exhibited in this thread....before he moved on to bigger things.......

Then, just a couple days ago we have a news story of kids getting their kicks out of beating a mothering goose nearly to death in Abbotsford just for the heck of it......

It sickens me to think that there are people out there that have such a low disregard for life. No I am not PETA! I am a 100% carnivore, and I'm not talking about killing animals for consumption. I am talking about the disregard for that life to take it for kicks, fun, or entertainment.

Those posters that were suggesting killing a cat as though it was humorous, are just one step away from the mentality of the disregard for any life that Jeffery Dahmer had when he extended it to human life. Or worse, are just one step away from blowing up a crowd of innocent people standing on the sidewalk watching a marathon.

When you don't care about life, there is little distinction between large life and small life. You are very scary!
    Last edited by Rick Christopherson; 05-06-2013 at 8:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    In his early years, Jeffrey Dahmer had the same disregard for animal life that some posters have exhibited in this thread....before he moved on to bigger things.......

Then, just a couple days ago we have a news story of kids getting their kicks out of beating a mothering goose nearly to death in Abbotsford just for the heck of it......

It sickens me to think that there are people out there that have such a low disregard for life. No I am not PETA! I am a 100% carnivore, and I'm not talking about killing animals for consumption. I am talking about the disregard for that life to take it for kicks, fun, or entertainment.

Those posters that were suggesting killing a cat as though it was humorous, are just one step away from the mentality of the disregard for any life that Jeffery Dahmer had when he extended it to human life. Or worse, are just one step away from blowing up a crowd of innocent people standing on the sidewalk watching a marathon.

When you don't care about life, there is little distinction between large life and small life. You are very scary!
    I not sure about kids that harass wild geese but some older people got jail time for their bad treatment of animals in this tri-state area , a goose was on the local x-way and the police stop the traffic so that the goose could be move to a safe haven, deer and smaller animals get hit with cars or trucks daily,

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    This side of the 49th parallel, that will get you jail time.
    No kidding.
    There's no location on your profile. Would you be north or south of the 49th?
    North, as long as your not in a city, you can use pretty well what ever you want on pests.
    40 years ago, a particularly nasty dog was in my yard growling at my kids. In that case I didn't use the Daisy.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    There's no location on your profile. Would you be north or south of the 49th?
    North, as long as your not in a city, you can use pretty well what ever you want on pests.
    40 years ago, a particularly nasty dog was in my yard growling at my kids. In that case I didn't use the Daisy.
    south of the 49th , the weather and the gun profile standing will change about at the same speed as soon as you drive from one city to a different one, I hope that Canada are more tolerant

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    south of the 49th , the weather and the gun profile standing will change about at the same speed as soon as you drive from one city to a different one, I hope that Canada are more tolerant
    Only in the rural areas Ray.. Citiots are Citiots on 'both' sides of the border..

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Just curious....why do you care if the cats are on the mower? Personally, I encourage my neighbor's cat to come by. Sometimes, when I have my shop door open, it just waltzes in and hangs out while I work. I feed it tuna sometimes. It keeps away the mice. Unless it's causing damage, why not just leave him alone?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This,
    What are the cats hurting?
    OMG they wore a path in the Grass, OMG!
    Worry about something important.
    Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    the cats may keep the mice away BUT A FREE MEAL DO NOT GIVE THEM A PERMIT TO URINE AND MARK MY MOWER AS THEIR with their pee
    Well if there peeing on it, that's different.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 05-12-2013 at 11:21 AM.