Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: cats

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Only in the rural areas Ray.. Citiots are Citiots on 'both' sides of the border..

How can anyone know when they cross the 49 parallel unless every foot of it are mark ? I'm referring
    to Eastern Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    How can anyone know when they cross the 49 parallel unless every foot of it are mark ? I'm referring
    to Eastern Canada
    I think now, the drones may spot you..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Only in the rural areas Ray.. Citiots are Citiots on 'both' sides of the border..
    Thank you, Bill. You expanded my vocabulary today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Christopherson View Post
    Those posters that were suggesting killing a cat as though it was humorous, are just one step away from the mentality of the disregard for any life that Jeffery Dahmer had when he extended it to human life. Or worse, are just one step away from blowing up a crowd of innocent people standing on the sidewalk watching a marathon.
    Is this offered as intentional extreme overexaggeration?

I would think that if a pet owner cared about their pets, they would not let said pets roam freely where harm may befall them. And the only place where one can have some measure of guarantee that their own pets are safe is on their own property. My cats stay inside where they are healthy and happy, not relieving themselves on my neighbors' property. Four-legged animals that wander onto my property are pests and are generally treated as such. I've found that Daisy tends to make very persuasive arguments against their return.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Getting this thread back on topic to the original post.

Cats are like deer, frogs, birds and any other animal. They do what they want, but do have the ability to learn. For every example someone gives that will "cure" the animal of doing something we humans don't want them to do, there will be an animal that will ignore or even like that "cure." There is no "one answer fits all" when it comes to resolving this problem.

Some non-lethal things you can try to discourage the cats from getting on your equipment: Cat-deterrent spray purchased at pet & feed stores, cat-deterrent plants, small strips of double-sided tape, Scat Mat, Tin Foil, pepper, plastic carpet runners upside-down so the pokey things are sticking up, squirt gun, motion sensitive sprinkler. The OP mentions a mower. If possible, flip the seat up or put a milk carton over it.

You can train most any animal simple things via routines - such as sheep coming in from pasture for their daily snack at 4pm or a fish seeing a living room light turn on and it knows it's about to be fed and rises to the surface. Training a cat to stay off equipment may not happen in 1 try if it has a routine already established.

There is also another simple alternative. We humans are supposed to have the higher intelligence, so use that intelligence to come up with a solution. Cats like to climb and sit on high things and survey the area. Give the cat a comfy spot that it will like better then the mower. It may thank you by eliminating rodents.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    ...It may thank you by eliminating rodents.
    More likely, it will thank you by sitting under your bird feeder killing anything it can.

Cats are like deer, frogs, birds and any other animal. They do what they want, but do have the ability to learn. For every example someone gives that will "cure" the animal of doing something we humans don't want them to do, there will be an animal that will ignore or even like that "cure." There is no "one answer fits all" when it comes to resolving this problem.

Some non-lethal things you can try to discourage the cats from getting on your equipment: Cat-deterrent spray purchased at pet & feed stores, cat-deterrent plants, small strips of double-sided tape, Scat Mat, Tin Foil, pepper, plastic carpet runners upside-down so the pokey things are sticking up, squirt gun, motion sensitive sprinkler. The OP mentions a mower. If possible, flip the seat up or put a milk carton over it.

You can train most any animal simple things via routines - such as sheep coming in from pasture for their daily snack at 4pm or a fish seeing a living room light turn on and it knows it's about to be fed and rises to the surface. Training a cat to stay off equipment may not happen in 1 try if it has a routine already established.

There is also another simple alternative. We humans are supposed to have the higher intelligence, so use that intelligence to come up with a solution. Cats like to climb and sit on high things and survey the area. Give the cat a comfy spot that it will like better then the mower. It may thank you by eliminating rodents.
    I keep the mower cover-up to keep it dry and I think the the cat or cats was hiding or staying out of the wind,

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    I keep the mower cover-up to keep it dry and I think the the cat or cats was hiding or staying out of the wind,
    That could very well be it. If it's in the sun, it'd also be warm and offer a wonderful hidey-hole.

I taught mine to fetch..Actually, I think he trained me..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

that is a smart cat, will you consider teaching two cats to fetch the bottle cap at the same time ?

LOL Yeah. I know the feeling. I had a cat 20-plus years ago that trained me to play fetch too. He would play as long as I would throw his toy. If I didn't play, I would wake up in the middle of the night with the cat on the shelf above the bed and he would drop the toy on my head. If I hid his toy, he would find other things to bring me in the middle of the night. I would wake up with screws, razors, and other various items spread about the covers of my bed. He was totally declawed, so I couldn't send him outside. Cool cat. Acted like a dog, but he drove me nuts at times with his antics! No more indoor cats for me.

I have the 2 outdoor cats trained to come when I whistle. They hunt in the fields and sleep in the pump house. They have earned their room & board with all the rodents they dispatch.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

LOL Yeah. I know the feeling. I had a cat 20-plus years ago that trained me to play fetch too. He would play as long as I would throw his toy. If I didn't play, I would wake up in the middle of the night with the cat on the shelf above the bed and he would drop the toy on my head. If I hid his toy, he would find other things to bring me in the middle of the night. I would wake up with screws, razors, and other various items spread about the covers of my bed. He was totally declawed, so I couldn't send him outside. Cool cat. Acted like a dog, but he drove me nuts at times with his antics! No more indoor cats for me.

I have the 2 outdoor cats trained to come when I whistle. They hunt in the fields and sleep in the pump house. They have earned their room & board with all the rodents they dispatch.
    SWMBO refers to 'em as permanent 2 year olds . Our Maine Coon mix knows where his toys are kept. When he's in the mood he'll climb onto the shelf where his toys are, pick one, drop it to the floor, jump down and proceed to demonstrate skills that would make a professional soccer player jealous. If there's nothing that suits his fancy, he'll open the lazy susan corner cupboard with all kinds of small bottles and other fun things. Pick one up in his mouth, drop it on the floor and bat, bat, BAT!
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-18-2013 at 8:26 AM.

Could sell it to a chinese restaurant...

http://youtu.be/NmXxrMC5Pv4

a number of mouse traps on top might solve the problem