Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: cats

I know I am late to the thread but if you are still having this problem I have a simple solution that I did with my cats; wrap the seat with aluminum foil and they will not come back. There is something about aluminum foil that cats hate so they will not go on it, now my cats don't scratch my couches and don't go on the dinner table or kitchen counter.

Again I know I'm late I just want to make sure that the cats don't drive you to hurt them, they don't know any better.

that is really impractical..

For a few humane solutions click on this: Cat Repellor.png
    Last edited by Jeff Erbele; 12-16-2013 at 2:18 AM.

I was going to suggest hand grenades but seeing how Daisy didn't go over very well here are several lower, low impact alternatives.

Wiki it - Wikipedia:
    Crystals - A more traditional cat repeller is to use jelly-like crystals containing methyl nonyl ketone, designed to be scattered around the garden, or around the areas the cat likes to foul. These repellents give off a smell that is very unpleasant to the cat, causing it to avoid that place.

Citronella - Citronella oil, famous for repelling insects, can also be used to get rid of cats. Citronella sticks are a common form, coming in citronella-impregnated plastic "repeller sticks".

Mix a concoction or three - For the those with an interest in the culinary arts:
    How to Make Homemade Cat Repellent

Buy Stuff - Lotions & Potions from the pet store:
    Repellents & Training

Build Stuff - For the person that likes to tinker with electronics, or the novice that wants to learn:
    Simple Sonic Cat Repeller

For the gardeners & landscaper types:
    There's more than one way to skin a cat. A cat only has 9 lives; here's:
    10 Cat Repellents: How to Keep Cats Away From Your Yard
    Wire, Water and Thinking Like a Cat

Cat - Its Mine.jpg << Ya? ...until I push the starter button

You could wire the garden tractor with a pressure switch on the seat, hooked to the starter or old car horn clipped to the battery. HONK!
    ...or a really old horn, AHhh Uu Gha!!
    Last edited by Jeff Erbele; 12-16-2013 at 4:29 AM.

Or this..

Did you ever think when you eat chinese
    It aint pork or chicken but a fat siamese
    But the food taste great, so you don't complain
    But that not chicken in your chicken chow mien...

I only did it for a week and haven't had a problem in 2 years, yes it sucked the week I was doing this for but after that week I have never had this problem again

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Only in the rural areas Ray.. Citiots are Citiots on 'both' sides of the border..

Maybe just maybe "citiots" have learned to walk upright and thus have learned that shooting any and everything doesn't solve much...
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

It never ceases to amaze me how we have to figure out, spend money, and take the time and effort to control other peoples' pets. Especially cats... Why is it "okay" that other peoples' cats roam our property? Just because people associate cats with the benefit of mouse eating, it seems to be "okay". Personally, I'd rather take care of whatever mouse and mole problem I may have on my own. I'm not a fan of cats. Don't hate them intrinsically, just not a fan. I AM a dog person, however. And having neighbors' cats on my property actually causes a problem. My dogs will chase them (through whatever brush and briars they have to...which has lead to a trip to the vet before), eat their poop, and we occasionally find animal parts from their meals. And before you say "why don't you control your dogs?", my dogs are on MY property. Other peoples' cats should be on theirs!

To answer the question directly, I would contact the neighbor and tell them to do what they have to or you will. Then start trapping them. If that doesn't work, warning shots with a 22. Finally, if the cats don't stay away from warning shots... well.... you know MY advice from there.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    To answer the question directly, I would contact the neighbor and tell them to do what they have to or you will. Then start trapping them. If that doesn't work, warning shots with a 22. Finally, if the cats don't stay away from warning shots... well.... you know MY advice from there.

Oh great, we have idiots shooting cats with pellet guns (nothing more than kids toys) that have little if any chance of dispatching any animal quickly or humanely (but damn! It sure will teach that critter a lesson now won't it! when you bury a pellet an inch into it's guts...) now "warning shots" bouncing around the woods and or neighbourhoods... Come on, you guys can't be serious.

Why the hell does everything in the US end at the end of a barrel.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 12-17-2013 at 9:06 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

We are cat owners (indoors only) but I agree that free-roaming cats in rural areas can be a problem. Better (if feral) to trap them humanely and deliver to animal shelter than to think about shooting with any type of pellet gun or rifle. There was an incident here a few years back where a stray .22 round from someone plinking on their property flew almost a mile and killed a child that was playing in their back yard. Cannot condone discharging a gun anywhere ouside a suitable range with backdrop or in an actual hunting environment where bystanders are unlikely to be nearby.

Just my 2-cents.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Um, Brian, a 22 isn't a pellet gun! And FYI, many pellet guns propel a pellet at 1000-1200 fps which is plenty to not only kill squirrels (and cats), but goes through steel (as in a steel roof in my barn when shooting birds trying to nest). Pellet guns are NOT kids "toys". They are extremely dangerous (especially when thought of as toys).

I live on a 21 acre property. So a warning shot can be quite safe. Of course I wouldn't suggest (sorry that I didn't make this clear earlier) that someone discharge any firearm (whether pellet gun or 30-06) in the suburbs.

If the OP lives in the burbs, I'd say address the issue with the owner. If that doesn't do the trick, trap the cat and put the cat (in the trap) on the front stoop of the owner's house. If that doesn't do the trick, next time you trap the cat, bring it to the shelter. Of course, this al costs you money (traps), and time (setting the traps and doing SOMETHING with the cat)...both things that aren't the OP's responsibility in the first place.
    I drink, therefore I am.

A 22's range is about just that...a mile. So, for a stray bullet to travel from a 22 rifle, it would have had to have been aimed at about 45* into the air. The problem wasn't plinking. The problem wasn't that a 22 was used. The problem was irresponsible gun use.

I'm sorry to hear that a child (or anyone) was killed by a firearm undeservedly. Sad story...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Just a note to folks condoning the use of bb or pellet guns.

A co-workers cat came home last week, unable to put any weight on his front left leg. X-ray revealed he had been shot (turned out to be a pellet gun) right in the shoulder joint. Whether the shooter was aiming for the heart or not can't say, but he barely missed it. The should joint was completely shattered and the only options were amputate or euthanize. The cat is young so they choose amputation.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.