Thread: Faux Teak

Faux Teak

I have a friend that has some fake teak furniture he wants to paint. Some foreign wood sold as "Teak-oiled" wood. Does he need to use an oil base paint? Would gripper or something like that work as a base coat?

Thanks
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Teak wood has an oily trait; it is not an oil that is harvested and used to treat wood. Most Tung oil and teak oil products are linseed oil or an oil/varnish blend. There is "pure" tung oil but by itself it is not a good finish.

Dewaxed shellac (Zinsser Seal coat) is a universal sealer. It will provide a barrier coat between whatever is on the wood now and the freash coat of paint.

FYI don't use wall paint on furniture.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks Scott!
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

B*I*N (another Zinsser product) might be the better choice for a primer/sealer since the items are going to be painted.
    B*I*N is pigmented shellac - it has a white color to it.
    It can also be tinted to come close to the finish paint & IMHO - it sands down easier than plain shellac for a smoother finish w/a little less effort.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon