Thread: Cocobolo Box top won't dry with Poly !! HELP !!

Cocobolo Box top won't dry with Poly !! HELP !!

I have a nice box top I made from some book matched Cocobolo. I put on two coats of Danish Oil, then waited a couple days and the sprayed it with Poly.

Darn it all, it won't dry !!

How can I take off the Poly

Thanks in advance !!!!!
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post

Thanks in advance !!!!!
    Sandpaper?
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

If it won't dry, it may come off with a solvent. I usually try lacquer thinner because it seems to take just about everything off, but alcohol is less toxic and may be a better first choice.

If poly is cured, lacquer thinner won't touch it -then use Cody's suggestion.

Mike

[Just a suggestion, next time put a sanding sealer, such as dewaxed shellac, on first, then the poly.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-03-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mark, Turps, lacquer thinner, paint thinner, and naptha will all work. Your basic problem is that the oils in the Cocobolo prevent varnishes from curing. I use Cobobolo regularly and there are 2 ways to finsh. The simplest is straight BLO and wax. For any other finish you need to use a barrier coat of dewaxed blonde shellac or Sealcoat before applying the normal finish of choice. Shellac by itself works well to except in situations where the item is handled regularly. In that case, the oils and salts in your hands will deteriorate the finish over time.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Valsi View Post
    I have a nice box top I made from some book matched Cocobolo. I put on two coats of Danish Oil, then waited a couple days and the sprayed it with Poly.

Darn it all, it won't dry !!

You're right, it won't. Cocobolo contains an oil that interferes with the curing of oil based finishes. Use a chemical paint stripper and once you get all the gunk off, lightly sand and then apply a coat of dewaxed shellac. This will seal the Cocobolo oil allowing an oil based finish to properly dry.
    Howie.........