Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket blade guards?

Aftermarket blade guards?

I bought a 20 yr old delta contractor tablesaw with a 52" biesemeyer fence. I put a Forrest blade on it and it will do darn near anything. But it doesnt have any blade guard. I made some nice inserts with splitters and have used it for several years.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a good aftermarket guard?

Sharkguard and B,O.R.K.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Ok, you got me. Whats b.o.r.k?

B.O.R.K = Bolt on Riving Knife ...Google it...There are mixed reviews from users. It is an after market device that mimics a riving knife.

I use a Sharkguard. Excellent protection plus good dust control. There are versions for many specific table saws and it has a good reputation

Bolt on Ripping Knife.

I don't have one, but have been contemplating getting either the Bolt on Ripping Knife or the SharkGuard for my Steel City cabinet saw. From what I've researched, these two aftermarket riving/ripping knives are the best out there. Check out the respective websites and search the woodworking forums for pros and cons of both. A lot of info out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Last edited by Michael Heffernan; 05-03-2013 at 9:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Here's mine:

010_zps77e368c8.jpg
    Last edited by scott spencer; 05-04-2013 at 6:10 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I added an Excalibur overarm guard to my cabinet saw and really liked it.

It had good dust collection and it could be used for non through cuts such as rebates and dadoes.

Regards, Rod.

The Brett is a great guard, but useless for dust collection.

I have a Delta Uniguard Table Saw Blade guard on my Delta Model 10 contractor saw. I bought it many years ago, but it should be the same. It mounted easily using the brackets that came with it. I had less room, so I had to cut the bottom tube to a shorter length (less than a foot), but if you have a 52" table, you shouldn't have to do that. The only problem for you may be that it requires the rear chrome bar of the original Delta fence to be in place to hold new bar. I don't know if the Biesenmeyer installation removes that bar.

It also comes with a splitter that mounts to the existing flange on the saw for the missing blade guard. The splitter can be removed by turning a knurled knob. My only issue on installation was that I had to file the splitter holder bracket a bit to make it fit. The only drawback is that dust collection is not a part of the design. Adjustability is excellent. The 15" long "S" shaped piece pivots to move the two gray arms for positioning the clear plastic guard. The separation of the clear plastic parts can be adjusted for a tilted blade. There are set screws for setting the position of the gray arms when the guard is swung out of the way.

I've had a shark guard for several years, no comparison to the guard that comes with the unisaw, plus it has a dust connection. I just ran a piece of 4" pipe over my saw, connected a piece of 4" flex hose to it and to the shark guard. Overhead dust collection, and a great splitter.

+1 on the Shark Guard. The dust collection is great. Some does leak out if you are cutting thick stock such as 8/4, but for more usual cuts, it works really well. It is also easy to remove and put back, which encourages me to use it whenever possible.

Noel

I've been thinking about hunting for something like the B.O.R.G or Sharkguard for my Delta Contractor Saw also Both of the ones mentioned above look to be in the same ballpark pricewise. How would one decide which is best I guess is the big question. I noticed that the BORG has a 30 day return policy, so that is a safety net for it. Haven't checked the Sharkguard for their return policy yet.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

I've worked with the Excalibur overhead guard as well as shopmade guards. Both work well at shielding the blade and collecting dust. The Excalibur has a blade cover wide enough to cover a blade tilted at 45 degrees. It can be raised to about 4" high, slid to the left about 14" and can be swung out of the cutting field completely. You can make a ceiling mounted guard that works as well in less than a day with scrap lumber and a few dollars in hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Reasons View Post
    I've been thinking about hunting for something like the B.O.R.G or Sharkguard for my Delta Contractor Saw also Both of the ones mentioned above look to be in the same ballpark pricewise. How would one decide which is best I guess is the big question. I noticed that the BORG has a 30 day return policy, so that is a safety net for it. Haven't checked the Sharkguard for their return policy yet.
    The BO.R.K is a riving knife....AFAIK, the Sharkguard is a splitter. Do you have a preference?

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    The BO.R.K is a riving knife....AFAIK, the Sharkguard is a splitter. Do you have a preference?
    After doing somemore reading I think the B.O.R.G. may be the way to go
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"