Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aviation fuel for chainsaws?????

Higher octane can actually reduce performance. This is because it is less volatile and burns at a controlled rate. The downside of that is it may not complete it's burn until the piston is already past the optimum range in the power stroke for power production. It may increase exhaust temperature because the gases are still burning on the way out. If it doesn't recommend a higher octane fuel then you might be disappointed in it's performance. High octane works in high compression engines because it is less likely to detonate prematurely and even if it does it isn't as significant as low octane would be. It produces a more controlled burn and in an engine designed for it potentially slightly more power.

I was a timber cutter in the mt hood national forest for years and ran all my saws on pump regular 5 days a week 50 weeks a year without issue. Modern saws are designed for modern fuels.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Someone running a saw every day would be less likely to see issues than those of us who use them occasionally as the fuel would always be fresh.

Now that I am using them only occasionally, my 15A year old Stihl 056 still runs strong.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

I thought this would be an interesting question. Thanks for all the replay's. I have four saws, a weed eater, a leave blower, and a hedge trimmer that I use two cycle mixed oil in. I have always used Husky oil in my mix and have never had an issue. Had one old mcCulloch saw set for more than 3 years under a mobile home in Georgia we have for a deer hunting camp without being cranked. It took a few minutes to get it cranked after sitting so long with gas in it and the carb, but it cranked and ran fine for me when I needed it and was still running when I gave it to one of my students a few years ago. I do feel that using a high grade of oil for the mixture is imperative for best results. I did a little surfing on the net after posting my question today and found a station about 20 minutes from my home that carries ethanol free high test. The family that own the station are even friends of mine. Just because I've never had an issue with my gas doesn't mean I want in the future so I will start to use the ethanol free for my small engines. I use around 6 gallons each year so it stays fairly fresh. Thanks for all the replies, Jack

Over on one of the arborist sites the chainsaw guys will run av gas or pure gas only in their saws. I have two friends who run chainsaw mills and both have holed the piston using regular ethanol gas. Pre-ignition can be quite prevalent with all the stress of milling big logs. If nothing else is available, premium gas gas with ethanol has more cleaners and detergents with the higher octane. I use premium ethanol gas and add a little sea foam to each jug of mix. Sea foam is a great product to keep them running clean.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mincey View Post
    Just because I've never had an issue with my gas doesn't mean I want in the future
    That's my thought. My Stihl dealer tried to talk me out of buying a case of the premixed fuel with my new trimmer because it was so expensive, but in the same conversation told me about how many carbs they replace due to corrosion. Husky's oil may have an ethanol treatment--I know Stihl's does (at least the grey cans.)

Those older Stihls and others are much more tolerant of crud in the fuels. In order to satisfy the environmentalists and others the newer carbs are finally metered when it comes to carburetors. They will clog up much quicker than the old trusty saws.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mincey View Post
    With all the worry over alcohol in our gas that we use for chainsaws got me to thinking of a source that is alcohol free. I know of a few people that run Aviation fuel in their old hot rods since it is higher octane than what one can buy at a station. I'm pretty sure it is alcohol free as well. My question is the higher octane a bad thing for our chainsaws or not? I can drive to our local airport in ten minutes, but it is a hour and a half drive to the closest station that has alcohol free gas. Price isn't really a big problem with chainsaw gas since most of us only use a small amount over a years time. Jack
    Never thought about AvGas. I found a station about 25 minutes south in Chesnee, SC that sells ethanol free regular. It's usually about the same price as E10 regular here at home. I have a 5 gallon gas can that I take down and fill when it gets low. I put STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer in it at the time I fill it. I use it in all my small engines including when I mix more fuel for my chain saw.

You can look for sources at Pure-Gas.org. There's a station in Sylva that is supposed to have 93 octane, and a couple of places in Bryson City.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Zero engine problems since I went to AVGAS. Get it at the local airport and it costs a bit more but the chainsaw and lawnmower love it! P.
    Philip

Switched to AVGAS 100 a year + ago and the lawn mower and chainsaw love it! No more starting problems and they run with full power. Just a few pennies more per gallon and its worth it, by a whole bunch, not to have engine problems.
    Philip

I've had the chance to talk with a Stil factory rep about gas.
    Absolutely never, ever, ever run E15 in your chainsaw (the shop I take my Husky to says the same thing). That appears to be the universal recommendation from every small-engine (including mower) on the market. He stated it would be better to get alcohol free gas then the regular gas/alcohol blend.
    He also recommends 89 octane or "mid grade", he strongly recommended against 85.
    What goes "bad" in today's "gas" is the various additives put in gas.
    Both people also recommend never keeping gas past 90 days, even with fuel stabilizers.
    Oh ya, use a good stabilizer.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

That's a good idea, Jared. I like that one a whole lot better than paying $5-$6 per can for the mix. (Almost $25/gallon)
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I always thought the old av gas was 80-87 ?? Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Rutter View Post
    I always thought the old av gas was 80-87 ?? Ron.
    It was, dyed red. I don't know if it can still be found or not. There were a couple STCs to run older engines that didn't like 100LL due to lead fouling on MoGas. A stipulation of the STC was no alcohol so any airport selling mogas for airplanes will be alcohol free. I was never involved with those engines so don't really know the current state of that market. I do know there's a fair bit of effort going into finding a replacement for 100LL. The EPA has been after the aviation industry to become lead-free for years, and sourcing the tetraethyl lead additive is not getting easier. The AvGas business outside N. America is a tiny fraction of the fuels business and it's expensive to service due to AvGas having lead and requiring special handling as a result.