Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aviation fuel for chainsaws?????

Aviation fuel for chainsaws?????

With all the worry over alcohol in our gas that we use for chainsaws got me to thinking of a source that is alcohol free. I know of a few people that run Aviation fuel in their old hot rods since it is higher octane than what one can buy at a station. I'm pretty sure it is alcohol free as well. My question is the higher octane a bad thing for our chainsaws or not? I can drive to our local airport in ten minutes, but it is a hour and a half drive to the closest station that has alcohol free gas. Price isn't really a big problem with chainsaw gas since most of us only use a small amount over a years time. Jack

Jack, for my little motors and boat, I try to use gas that is alcohol free. They claim the little rubber parts fair better without alcohol. I just get it at any local gas station that advertises as such.

Avgas is leaded.

The most commonly available AvGas is 100LL (100 Octane low lead) I think -not certain- that octane is measured differently in AvGas than MoGas and AvGas is higher. Low Lead is not No Lead, I don't know if that would cause a problem or not. I don't use a chain saw often, maybe once or twice a year so when I'm done I drain the fuel tank then start it and run it 'til it quits. That way the fuel system is dry. I've seen no corrosion issues so far doing this.

Higher octane fuels are fine for spark ignited engines as it is designed to function in higher compression engines lowering the risk of pre-ignition and ping, which can damage an engine. Can't imagine any problems burning this fuel in a two cycle engine.

All that a higher octane rating does is reduce the propensity of preignition/detonation/spark knock/compression ignition. In practice, what that means is that an engine that is built with a higher compression ratio (or forced induction) needs the higher octane rated fuels to prevent preignition. A typical car/pickup engine might be 8 or 9:1 compression ratio, a supercharged or turbo-charged engine would be more in the 6 to 7:1 range, and a high-compression engine (like a motorcycle) would be in the 10 to 11:1 range.

I've been running my Husqy on pump gas for the 9ish years I've had it, with no problems, nor any regard for whether the gas contained any alcohol. One thing I have done religiously is use the Husqy 2-cycle oil. I don't even drain the gas or run it out and still have no problems firing it up months later.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by David Reed View Post
    Higher octane fuels are fine for spark ignited engines as it is designed to function in higher compression engines lowering the risk of pre-ignition and ping, which can damage an engine. Can't imagine any problems burning this fuel in a two cycle engine.
    As I think about it, I can think of one potential problem. MoGas is formulated differently in winter & summer so vapor pressure is different, MoGas in the winter vaporizes easier at low temperatures. AvGas formulation does not change with the seasons. I wonder if getting a chainsaw started with AvGas would be a real exercise on a cold winter day. I do know that starting an aircraft piston engine below about 40o F without preheat is not recommended but there are other factors at work there. Dunno, never tried it.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-04-2013 at 9:05 AM.

If you don't use it that much why not just buy the premixed quarts sold for small engines? Auto parts stores and lawn and garden equipment stores sell it.

I try to use av gas in motors that tend to do a lot of sitting around. Since aircraft can't tolerate the problems associated with fuel containing alcohol such as fuel separation, deterioration of seals, vapor locking, etc. why have the problems in my sawmill, rototiller, seldom used off road motorcycle, etc.? (even though they can't fall out of the sky)

Many folks flying older single engine airplanes not designed for the 100 LL aviation gas has switched to car gas. The switch greatly reduces plug fouling caused by the lead in av gas. If you can not find 80 octane av gas I would stick to car gas.

Aviation gas does not go bad when stored for long periods like regular gas does.

I have heard that gas from the dock at a marina is alcohol free. It probably costs about $6-7 per gallon.

Steve

My Stihl saw manuals say to NOT run premium gas, 89 octane or LOWER. Running ethanol is not a problem, if you mix 1 gallon or less, use it up or dump (environmentally soundly) it after a few months. Dump your gas from the tank if you aren't going to use the saw right away. Start the saw and run all the gas from the fuel lines and carb.
    I cannot see a huge advantage in running avgas, breathing all that lead seems bad to me.

image-2698150374.jpg

image-2682634532.jpg

I buy this from the big box store $5-6 a can I think.
    Where did I put that?

I see the mention of dumping gas/oil mix when it get too old as you dont want to use it in the chainsaw, weedeater, etc. I never dump it, just put it in my car or pickup. The small amount of oil that is in a quart or two of gas, when mixed in a full tank of gas in the car will not cause a problem. No need to dump something that does not need to be. Jared