Thread: Wood Sealer for Green Wood

Smile Wood Sealer for Green Wood

Hello, I'm a 1st timer to Sawmill Creek and new woodworker with some questions. I have several nice size Oaks and Cherry trees on my property that is being cleared and want to save them for milling. I know there is an Achor seal, but I need to know is there something at HD or Lowes that I can use. Any sound advice for the newbie would be great!!! Looking forward to posting some pics of shop and toys. I live in Atoka TN, about 30 miles north of Memphis Tn. I'm in the graceful rural country...... Thanks and looking forward to learning..... JS in Atoka

I often said that laytex paint worked fine, until I actually tried Anchor Seal. It is worth getting. This is a link to the source.

https://www.uccoatings.com/uccoat.php

Note that the prices are delivered, and the cost drops dramatically as the quantity increases. Great chance to split a couple gallons with a friend.

James,

Welcome to the creek! Thank you for joining.

I have never harvested my own logs, so I can't help with the sealer question. Good luck with your logs!

Be sure to post pictures
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

ditto with charlie
    I have had excellent results the anchor seal. Keep in mind the value of the lumber and you will see that using a quility end seal is worth it.
    lou

The point of the sealer is to keep the ends of the logs from drying out too quickly. Latex paint breathes and will let the moisture out too fast. I've heard of people using roofing cement to seal logs. If you're cutting that much wood, why not just mail order a bucket of AnchorSeal from the company?

I buy Anchor Seal in the 5 gallon pails as we go through so much of it, works perfect. Here is a vaneer grade Birdseye Maple log I sealed last evening, can hardly wait to turn it.