Thread: Work Bench Accessories

Work Bench Accessories

Just a year ago I moved across the country in search of a nicer climate. The best part of the move was I got to build a new shop and have been arranging and rearranging every since. Just when you think you have things the way you want, you get another idea and do it all again.

The woodworking mags are a bit lax when it comes to shop set up, so I thought I would show you guys what I have been up to, and ask you folks to jump in and share your shop ideas with the rest of us… This thread starts with my workbench areas, and we can go from here.

First, this old workbench had steel legs for 25 years. There was one shelf under the bench to help stabilize it. The legs were trashed and replaced with a base full of large drawers, and now everything is right at your fingertips at all times.

A simple bookcase holds the sanders and routers that are used all the time. I usually have them plugged in and ready to use so you don't have to waste time getting tools out.

The six foot long shelves over the bench hold all the stuff that you never put away…

My old router table sits next to the bench as it is used all the time. It has more large drawers to keep everything handy.

I have an old carpet on the floor next to my rubber mats. I keeps the paint I am always spilling off my painted floor, and by the way - it is wonderful to stand on. It also is great for flipping the telescopes, furniture, and cabinets I am always making from getting scratched up when they are built.

My dust collector now sits right next to where I am usually making the biggest mess with routers and sanders. It doubles as machinery stands. All open stands were pitched years ago, so the spaces under the machines can be used for storage.

How about it guys, let's hear some of your ideas to make your shop time more enjoyable and more productive…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (102.6 KB, 375 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (74.0 KB, 370 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (102.1 KB, 362 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (92.1 KB, 365 views)
    Last edited by Tom Clark FL; 05-06-2013 at 8:38 AM.

Tom, you have certainly built yourself a beautiful shop. Your cabinets are impressive and really make excellent use of your space.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Tom-
    Your shop is so clean. Do you sweep and vacuum after projects? Centralized dust collection? Gremlins that come in at night?
    -bernie

"How about it guys, let's hear some of your ideas to make your shop time more enjoyable and more productive…"

Nothing here about being productive, but I have my 2nd frig in my shop and it has various beers setting inside. On a Saturday evening, I like to go out to the shop, which is next to my outdoor grilling area, and sip a beer and straighten up and fiddle with things. No power tool use during this time!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark FL View Post
    It also is great for flipping the telescopes . . . I am always making from getting scratched up when they are built.
    Looks like you have made really good use of storage space. I'm in the process of building a run of storage cabinets for my shop, but no where near that many drawers. Yikes.

But I'd really like to hear more about the telescope building--you don't make those out of wood, do you? I'd love to see one.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post

But I'd really like to hear more about the telescope building--you don't make those out of wood, do you? I'd love to see one.
    Of course you do. Just sand the reflector's mirror down to 600 grit and you are good to go. Tough to make a refractor out of wood though.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 05-07-2013 at 5:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    Tough to make a refractor out of wood though.
    Oddly, I assumed the optics were not wood. I was thinking a brass and mahogany telescope would make quite a statement, but was curious as to whether there were issues with wood movement. My first telescope was built with a shipping tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Oddly, I assumed the optics were not wood. I was thinking a brass and mahogany telescope would make quite a statement, but was curious as to whether there were issues with wood movement. My first telescope was built with a shipping tube.
    Little to no wood movement in a shipping tube. :-)
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    Of course you do. Just sand the reflector's mirror down to 600 grit and you are good to go. Tough to make a refractor out of wood though.
    Of course the mounts are made from wood, but not the optics, dumdum. Here are some photos of scopes I have built, but then lets go back to talking about how to make our workbenches and work areas more productive. <grin>
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (89.9 KB, 90 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (78.6 KB, 88 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (78.7 KB, 94 views)

Wow. The one with the all wood exterior is quite impressive! Well, they are all impressive, but that one sings to me a little more...

Back to the shop cabinets, I suppose. How many drawers did you build total? What kind of construction did you use for them? I'm in the middle of building about 18 of varying sizes for my cabinets and I've found the process unpleasantly factory-like. I'm using 12mm BB ply, and didn't like the blow outs when trying to dovetail them, so went with punching small dominos all the way through them to pin the front/back to the sides. Figure shop drawers have to withstand some abuse.

30 years ago I built drawers properly, using notched edges and put the bottom in slots, but gave up after building too many out-of-square drawers. Today I use butt joints and staple the 1/4" bottoms directly onto the sides. Drawers are always perfectly square and super fast to make. Never had a failure! Today's nail guns and glue make terrific joints. I usually use 3/4 opening drawer slides and try to not pay more than about $3 each. With over 100 drawers just in the shop (to handle multiple hobbies) you try to keeps costs reasonable.
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (84.8 KB, 68 views)

Tom, nice setup in the new location. For those who may not know, Tom's book on building shop cabinets is one of the best deals going. It was the thing that gave me the confidence to try to build a drawer. I'm still not very good at it, but keep trying.

Tom, I do have one question. You have said that you like drawers below waist height, but I'm seeing several drawers above eye level. Does that create any problem? As I get older, I really appreciate using drawers for low storage whenever possible.

Steve

Steve,

There are no drawers that I can't look into in the shop, garage, or house/ There are a few cabinets with shelves that are taller than I am, but open shelves don't create the same problem.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie May View Post
    Tom-
    Your shop is so clean. Do you sweep and vacuum after projects? Centralized dust collection? Gremlins that come in at night?
    -bernie
    Bernie,

The secret is to paint the floor the color of sawdust. Even the carpet hides the sawdust. There is plenty in front of the workbench but the photos don't show it all that well. The shop looks cleaner than most you see on the web, but only because the shop cabinets provide an easy place to put things. away.