Thread: Large format printing on web?

Large format printing on web?

When I make a pattern, sometimes I have to print out 2 – 8 sheets of paper, then tape them together
    I was wondering if there is a source on the web for large format printing for patterns, there are plenty for photos, but I can’t seem to find anything else.When I make a pattern, sometimes I have to print out 2 – 8 sheets of paper, then tape them together
    I was wondering if there is a source on the web for large format printing for patterns, there are plenty for photos, but I can’t seem to find anything else.

Thank you;

Staples has large format for fairly cheap. What you want to ask for are "engineering prints" - http://www.staples.com/sbd/content/c...ng-prints.html

Floyd, I've used Staples for large format printing and it works quite well. I've always given them PDF files to print from. What format are your drawings in?

I would suggest that you add scales, both horizontal and vertical so you can check the accuracy of the printing. I have received large scale prints done by some shops where there is some weird scaling in one direction and either no scaling or a different amount of scaling in the other direction. This makes picking dimensions off of the drawing a challenge. I've never had a problem with Staples prints but I have had problems with drawings sent to me from which I've had to create plan documents.

Fedex Office (AKA Kinkos) does it too. PDF looked to be the best way to send hem something as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Floyd, I've used Staples for large format printing and it works quite well. I've always given them PDF files to print from. What format are your drawings in?

I would suggest that you add scales, both horizontal and vertical so you can check the accuracy of the printing. I have received large scale prints done by some shops where there is some weird scaling in one direction and either no scaling or a different amount of scaling in the other direction. This makes picking dimensions off of the drawing a challenge. I've never had a problem with Staples prints but I have had problems with drawings sent to me from which I've had to create plan documents.
    Dave,

After Thomas, mentioned staples I called them and the told me the could work off of jpeg, I will call them back later and ask if they would rather have it in PDF, which will not be a problem.

Thank you guys.

Floyd, what are you making your PDF or JPG from?

I typically use a PDF when I take things to them - actually, to any printer. With what was mentioned about scales, you can designate the sheet size for a PDF. You cannot really do the same with a JPG. A JPG will print at different scales based on what dpi the printer is printing at.

As Matt said, other places will also do these "engineer prints" but I've found Staples to be pretty consistent in their offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Floyd, what are you making your PDF or JPG from?
    Dave I draw it up in DeltaCad saving as dfx file most of the time I just use sketchup & export as PDF.

I see.

If you had the pro version of SketchUp 8 you could import the DXF into SU and export via LayOut to PDF with a defined paper size. If you knew someone with SU Pro, you could e-mail the DXF to him and he would do it for you.

Thanks everyone, went to Staples , they did a great job