Thread: First Guitar

Blog Entries

First Guitar

Well I've not been around the creek much lately but I just had to come share this build. I have been learning about Instruments and working on my 70 c10 and absorbing as much knowledge as possible on the small block Chevy I can. This is my first guitar. I have been building Ukuleles now for about 2 years and have more then 30 of them under my belt, but it was time to take the pledge so that people would stop asking me when I was going to make a guitar... A good friend of my wife and I asked me to build it for her husband... The guitar is a Small Jumbo made of Camphor with a Sitka Spruce top rosewood fingerboard and bridge and mahogany neck... all but the spruce is local lumber that I had a hand in milling... well the Mahogany was Trim that was torn out of a wells fargo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Beautiful work Andrew ! Love the moustache bridge : )

Cheers,

Kent

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I guess its something in the name... I always liked the Gibson styles headstock and moustache bridge, so I sat down and drew up my own play on the bridge... I am very happy with the way the bridge turned out... I think the headstock needs to be slimed down a bit, but I am happy with the way it came out for a first time... I think I modified my uke headstock 6 times before I made 2 the same... I now have 2 uke headstocks, one for friction pegs and one for geared tuners.
    Andrew Gibson

That looks like very neat craftsmanship. The headstock could be a bit narrower,and the wedge at the tail end of the guitar is usually widest at the top side.

How's the tone?

That looks very nice, Andrew. You did what 99% of people that build their first guitar never do....finish

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    the wedge at the tail end of the guitar is usually widest at the top side.
    I did that on my very first one too

Blog Entries
    Thank you guys. George, thanks for the input. I have plans to narrow down the headstock a bit already. I had not noticed the Wedge going to other way on most guitars until you mentioned it. I typically put them this way on my ukes, I could never decide which way I liked it better. I am very happy with the tone for a first. Intonation is spot on and the harmonics are very nice as well... the other strings seem to ring harmonics when you play a note. I will see of I can get someone to play it for me and post up a sound sample... I'm not much of a Player, but I do love building them... I have always wanted to know how they went together...
    Andrew Gibson

Excellent work!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Since the top is the most important part on a guitar(it's where the tone is generated),the wedge should "point" towards it. Some builders used the wedge as a way to drive the sides tighter against the mold before gluing in the tail block. I think (I know) the sides should fit perfectly without being forced. It forever causes unwanted stress on the vibrating surfaces. I haven't used a wedge for many years,but it could just be a decorative element rather than its original purpose.
    Last edited by george wilson; 05-19-2013 at 4:51 PM.