Thread: How to move a massive bandsaw into garage?

How to move a massive bandsaw into garage?

I have a large bandsaw being delivered soon (78.5 inch height). The garage ceiling is more than enough to handle it, but the height getting through the garage door is a limiting factor, it's about 78 inches. And when I take into account the height of pallet the BS will be on, I won't be able to use a pallet jack to scoot the machine through the garage door.

I can tip the machine, but it weighs 550 pounds and I'd want some type of bracing or mechanical help in that situation.

How have you guys moved tall, heavy machines through low openings.

Ideas, suggestions welcomed.

Craig,
    I had to do this to clear a garage door opening once. I took off the table (look for shims, tape them in place), then removed both wheels. Motor would have been nice but the pulley was locked on and I didn't want to remove it.

Tip the saw on its spine onto a furniture dolley and roll it in.

-Brian

Two guys. Take off the table. The top isn't very heavy so two guys can tip it down and get it back up. Dave

When I bought mine we removed the table and motor. I made a cradle system that we put on the saw as we tilted it into the truck. We used the tailgate as a fulcrum. When we got home we just reversed the process. We did unload outside, however, but I think I could have managed it inside.

It would be a lot of hassle to move it a few feet, but I thought it might give you some ideas.

Jet_in_cradle1.jpg Unloading_Jet31.jpg
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    When I bought mine we removed the table and motor. I made a cradle system that we put on the saw as we tilted it into the truck. We used the tailgate as a fulcrum. When we got home we just reversed the process. We did unload outside, however, but I think I could have managed it inside.

It would be a lot of hassle to move it a few feet, but I thought it might give you some ideas.

Thanks for the pictures and idea Charles, much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Behnke View Post
    I have a large bandsaw being delivered soon (78.5 inch height). The garage ceiling is more than enough to handle it, but the height getting through the garage door is a limiting factor, it's about 78 inches. And when I take into account the height of pallet the BS will be on, I won't be able to use a pallet jack to scoot the machine through the garage door.

I can tip the machine, but it weighs 550 pounds and I'd want some type of bracing or mechanical help in that situation.

Greetings from NC!
    Over on owwm.org one of our members moved a Tannewitz GH (114" & 2500 lbs.) bandsaw through his 83" tall garage door with a pretty ingenious tilting frame. Here's a couple of teaser photos...

tannewitz_4.jpg tannewitz_5.jpg

And as Paul Harvey would say - "And now the rest of the story"...(can be found here) - owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65789

Regards,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 05-08-2013 at 5:53 PM. Reason: Removed active forum links

I had to do this last year. Since the motor is likely close to the bottom, my saw wasn't that hard to tip backwards onto its spine (I still had a friend help me lower it, and had another block the other side. We tipped it onto a dolly and dragged/rolled it the necessary distance.

If the saw is new, then it likely will come with the table disassembled. That'll save you some weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Behnke View Post

Craig
    When I moved My MM16 Band Saw into my shop I used a hand truck, its about 530 Lbs with the help of my son and son-in-law. Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post

Moved my 20" grizzly the same as this, I was able to load and unload it on my own by sliding it on the wood frame. I just backed my trailer up to it laid it down and slid it on. Reverse for taking it off. It was actually easy. Be sure to remove the table.

just take the top wheel off and top gaurd and then use a pallet jack, why make it harder than it needs to be?
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!