Thread: Pen finishes

Pen finishes

Just wondering what everybody uses for pen finishes, after not being ably to turn for about 3 months due to surgery the Doc said it is okay to get back to pens and other small items, (he understands he has made 6 complete croquet sets, balls and all) some of the guys at my local woodcraft told me to switch to Mylands, I have always used huts Crystal coat.

Any opinions? What kind of results I can get out of Mylands compared to Hut? Do I have to use a sealer first if I want a glossy finish? Which gives the best finish quickest? Which is more user friendly?

Thanks Dave

I have always used a CA glue and BLO finish or a spray on acrylic made by krylon.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I've only ever used Mylands Friction Polish.

Seems fine to me, but I am a rank amateur.

This aint going to help a bit---I use both depending on the kind of wood.--Heck if the pen is being a real pain I will use a coat of Mylands---let it set for 10 minutes then use Hut as a top coat.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

glue

I'm no expert except that works for me. I coat them with CA glue and then general tripple E and Shelliwax. When color is a problem and I want a light finish the Mylands sealer and then Mylands polish work great & keeps good color . Tried Beulens (whatever) the other day and it worked OK. Time will tell which is better. The tripple E and shelliwax does turn gray which can be overcome in darker woods but is difficult on light colors. Harry

I like the Mylands versus the Hut Crystal. The HUT seems to me to have more waxes and stays softer and need to cool longer before it can be handled. But I would say that whatever you use that you are happy with, is what you should be using. If none of your customers are complaining, then don't sweat it.
    Randy
    Much Work Remains To Be Done Before We Can Announce Our Total Failure to Make Any Progress