Thread: spalted beech with ribbon finial

spalted beech with ribbon finial

Here's a spalted beech turning from my beech tree that was hit by lighting a couple of yrs. ago. The limb that was knocked off the tree was large, around 16 in. diameter. The tree itself is probably around 3 ft. in diam. I pretty much forgot about it until I was rumaging through my rough turnings. I only had a very small section of the tree that had spalted.

I tried to find a piece of wood for the top that halfway matched the color of the beech, I found a small piece of wood that I think is chestnut that was a close match. The finial is walnut and 1/2 in diameter. 4 coats of DO and then buffed out with Tripoli, WD, and then wax. I forgot to measure it, but it's approximately 6in tall and 5 in wide.spalted beech box with ribbon finial 002.jpgspalted beech box with ribbon finial 003.jpgspalted beech box with ribbon finial 004.jpgspalted beech box with ribbon finial 006.jpg

Nice turning! Love the combination of woods and the finial works very well.

I absolutely love the finial! Would also love to see a tutorial on that!

That is one beautiful piece,the wood is great but your turning really made that wood look outstanding. The finial is unbelievable,you really did good.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

That is a beauty. Love the wood combo with finial.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very nice piece Jerry! Beautiful wood and form and your finial is awesome!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Thanks everyone for your comments, Walter about a week or two back I posted "crotch ash bowl with ribbon finial" explaining how to make this ribbon finial.