Thread: Design question...

Design question...

Hey guys!!!

I have a potential project with a bit of a hiccup in the design. I need some advice to help me overcome this.

The customer wants a custom wardrobe/closet. She wants rail and stile raised panel doors. Behind 4 of the 5 doors she wants drawers on the lower half. I planned to use face frame cabinet construction and have the drawer faces be inset. She wants some sort of brass style drawer pulls. If I mount the doors to the face frame how will I make sure the drawer faces are far enough behind so the doors can close freely over them.

Obviously the drawers need to be recessed. I'm having a hard time visualizing what design considerations need to be made to allow for this.

Can someone help shed some light on this.

Please be kind. I know how to build almost anything. However, my design chops need some improvement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Since the piece will have doors I would push the 'clothes press' approach .Shallow tray type drawers widely spaced,then she can see everything at one time and grab what she wants. Especially with full extension slides. Then you will have plenty of wood. Google clothes press,there are a couple of that type shown.

Thanx!!! Will do. Right now.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Ok. So far I see mostly steam irons and some wardrobes. I typed 'clothes press' then 'wardrobe clothes press'. I'm not seeing anything that has the type of drawers you mentioned. Any chance you can share a link or a good pic?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Just don't know how to to that.I used that 'show images of .....' feature. Sure somebody will send link . Any books with old furniture will usually have them ,too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Just don't know how to to that.I used that 'show images of .....' feature. Sure somebody will send link . Any books with old furniture will usually have them ,too.
    Yeah. I clicked on images. Nothing I saw seemed like anything that would makes sense with my design.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------