Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workbench by Alan Turner

Awesome bench and even better way to build it. I envy you working next to Alan as well. When the school is open I'm there.
    John
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Beautiful. I love contrast and birch is one of my favorite woods with it's mixture of light sapwood and dark heartwood. The olivewood makes a nice accent.

Maybe Alan could videotape a workbench project? I'd buy it.

Wow, Ron...That's beautiful! You are a fortunate fellow, indeed. I'm sure that will be a treasured centerpiece in your shop. I *know* it would be in mine! Dang it Alan, sure I couldn't talk you into moving to Wisconsin? I know a beautiful little valley up here. Quiet, scenic and downright inspirational for a man of your talents. Yeah, it's pretty close to where we live, but that's just shear coincidence!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Ron and Alan,

More questions:

The front section that contains the dogholes..... is that roughly 6" wide with dogholes cut out with dado blade (tilted using jig???)---and the use the router to create the "pockets"? What width on the dado blade (if you used this method)?

THen it looks like you capped the open side of the dogholes with 1 1/2" wide olive wood?? (same as in the tail vise section....??

Again - looks great and very serviceable......!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall
    Ron and Alan,

More questions:

The front section that contains the dogholes..... is that roughly 6" wide with dogholes cut out with dado blade (tilted using jig???)---and the use the router to create the "pockets"? What width on the dado blade (if you used this method)?

THen it looks like you capped the open side of the dogholes with 1 1/2" wide olive wood?? (same as in the tail vise section....??

Again - looks great and very serviceable......!!!
    Roy - The front section is about 4 1/2" wide or so. It is the same width as the tail vise, without the front strip. Get all of your hardware before you begin a bench! The hardware determines these sizes.

The dog holes are cut with the TS for most of the stock removal, but sized with a special purpose jig for pattern routing. I made the jig becuase I have 10 more student benches to build, and will also plan to teach a bench class, if there is interest.

The holes are offset 2 degrees so that the dogs are pointing towards each other just a bit. Some of that 2 degrees is used up by the looseness of the dogs in the holes. This cut is done with a 2 degree wedge behind the stock on the TS sled. Could have done it with a dado, but I just take a number of single width passes as that is quicker than changing blades. The final sizing is with the router. The front strip, on both the bench and the vise, is 1".

John - Wisconsin is a beautiful state, but this is my home. Sorry about that, but you could come out to Philadelphia. It is a terrific destination city. Independence Hall, the new Consitution Cneter, etc.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop