Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: opinion on The Wood Whisperer?

I like a lot of what Marc does, I've built a version of the torsion box table and use it everyday. I met Marc in person at the Atlanta Woodworking show a few years ago and got to talk with him at length. Very personable and IMHO knowledgeable about the woodworking subject matter. I've looked at some of his paid builds but haven't tried any of the sing alongs. FWIW, that same year Norm Abrams was at the show and since I knew he was going to be there, I took along his book and got it autographed. Who knows, could be worth a fortune one of these years.
    "Seldom wrong, but NEVER in doubt!!"
    Registered EZ "Trac Head"

Cool.

So the point is that a paid membership gets you a plan and the hand holding to build it. An excellent way for beginners to learn. That really is awesome. Plus the option to buy individual plans and hand holding if something in particular "hits the spot." That's pretty flexible on his part.

Plus, the free part of the site has plenty of interesting things for everyone, member or not.

I was just wondering. I don't think I'm at the beginner stage any more. so plans with attendant hand holding aren't particularly interesting. FWIW, I don't say "hand holding" to mean a bad thing, it's just that sometimes, at some point, getting specific how to do it advise is both necessary and a good thing. I just don't need too much of that at the moment.

I am a member of the Wood Whisper for the last couple years. As a newbie I was looking for instruction on all things wood working. I've went to a couple wood working schools for one week classes. That is expensive. I've found that the Wood Whispers videos are just as good for a lot less money. I go back and refer to them a lot when I have a problem. I've only built a couple of the builds but that really doesn't mater it's the basic principles that he explains that I use the most. Also his videos are technically very well made. Some of the others I've seen are not so good.

I like the videos that are free, however there really isn't a whole bunch of content there. It also seems like the recent videos are basicly ads, either for the 'Guild' membership, or for products from his sponsers.
    I'd consider the membership, but its ridiculously expensive in my opinion.

Fee-based Online WW clubs/forums and online magazine subscriptions have had a tough road- many folks don't want to pay for what is free on other sites and many would still rather have paper in hand. One reason I will never sign up for FWW online.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    I have watched many of Marc's free videos. The Jointer tuning was one of the best. I have contemplated buying the workbench plans alone, but really didn't feel I'd get my money's worth by subscribing to the "Guild".

I have YouTube subscriptions to a few other woodworkers who, while not in the same league as Marc, have great videos and some great self-deprecating humor as well. Watching all of them, including the WW gives me a well rounded view of the field, and some fun besides.

Included in my YouTube selections:
    Woodworking for Mere Mortals - Steve Ramsey. (really fun, and some neato projects that are very easy... especially magic tricks) He also produced "Mere Minutes"... FUN!
    Peter Parfitt - The "Brit". Lots of great info, and reviews of products. Not so many actual projects but his info is great.
    HalfInchShy - A lot of really good tool and technique info. I am especially interested in copying his SawStop Saw modifications
    This Woodwork - Alex Harris, a teenager with a lot of talent. Never negate the fact that you can learn from the young! He's got a hell of a future in front of him!

All together, along with random videos, I don't need the paid subscriptions...at least for now. Never say never!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Blog Entries
    I never used the paid content. I learn something new every time I watch one of his podcasts. I really like his style.

Marc is absolutely awesome. I've emailed him several dozen times and I always get a response no matter how irritating I can be with all my questions. He even shipped me a free DVD after I shipped him a hardware package for a 3 in 1 crib he planned on building. I was unable to get to it myself so I have it to him. Sadly, he too, was also unable to find the time.

I've learned a TON from his site. I find his videos enlightening and humorous. Cheesy at times, but humorous.

Three thumbs up for Spags.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

He has some good info but nothing that if look in you tube, here or in multipal of other places cant find answer. And not coast big $$$$ to get the info.

Blog Entries
    He has hundreds of free videos that are very good. I haven't joined the Guild and probably won't. The free stuff has slowed down since he recently moved and his wife had a baby.

I applaud Marc for being able to make a living at something that he enjoys. I have not subscribed to his guild, but I have looked through the photo galleries and watched a couple of video's. Good for him is all I can say.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Not to be a Net Nelly but buy the right books, say $1500 worth and you'd never need to confer with the web ever again. The net is not spitting out new information. I does provide information in a "new" format but don't forget that the old timers amongst us read books and got through it just fine. Shucks, some folks just learned by trial and error! A book is on your shelf, at your finger tips, lays open for reference on your bench and will be there forever. A book is also produced in a way that cost money and meant that the content was scrutinized before investing that money in it's production. Web material - not so much. Use both and you're driving.

Ask George Wilson about the Net and how it helped him hone his skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Not to be a Net Nelly but buy the right books,
    Wouldn't say your are being a "net nelly" at all Chris, 90% of what I have learned has come from books. I agree there is nothing mind shattering on the web, just rehashing out information in a new format. You have to admit, it is nice to see different techniques in action, rather that just a picture?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Seeing somebody actually go through the motion of doing something, especially hand tool work, is a much more effective medium for education. But things like how to tune up your machines, how to build a bandsaw fence, which finishes to use for what, etc can all be handled in books.

And of course, the best method of learning is to do it yourself. But videos do have advantages over books in some cases.

It's hard not to like Marc - I've never tried, so I really don't know how hard it would be. I agree with you, Peter; watching how something is done is much better than reading about it. His pod casts are most informative.