Thread: Menards - Timber Products Plywood Quality Question

Menards - Timber Products Plywood Quality Question

Have you guys worked with Menard's Timber Products Plywood? They are advertising a 3/4" A1 Grade Pro-Core2 Cherry 4x8 sheet for $90. That's about $20 off my typical woodworking store and much closer to the house as well. It doesn't say if it's A1 both sides. I'm looking to build an entertainment center with this and probably future projects if its a decent plywood. What's your guys' experience?

There's finally a Menards near me and I'm still exploring. Today I noticed in an ad that they claim extra-thick face veneers on that Timber Products ply so I do plan to try it on my next project. I for one would LOVE to never buy another sheet of micro-veneer ply from HD or Lowes.

From the Menard's video the veneer face is 1/36" which seems a little thinner than I'd expect. I'd be nice if they stocked it instead of having to special order it. Handle with care.

Also I'd suggest checking the grade on the veneers. If I'm not mistaken the cherry ply advertised by Menards is a B1 grade on the face side.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Chen View Post
    From the Menard's video the veneer face is 1/36" which seems a little thinner than I'd expect. I'd be nice if they stocked it instead of having to special order it. Handle with care.
    "...the face veneer on inexpensive plywood can be as thin as 1/100" compared to about 1/40" on better material." Taken from http://www.popularwoodworking.com/te..._right_plywood

It says A1 grade.

It says A1 grade.
    Yep, my local Menards advertises A1 grade Timber ply in cherry, maple and walnut. I questioned how the product looked a few months ago, the counter person had no clue. He just said "I have not seen it in person", and "its special order". Typical answer from Menards.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I have used this stuff (the maple) to build a copy of Norm's Miter station, and for a piece of shop furniture I think it works fine. But if your building a piece of fine furniture that your building for a customer, I think its worth the extra cash to purchase the good stuff, I have never seen "good plywood" at Menards. I'm one of those guys at Menards that will go through the whole stack to find a couple decent sheets!
    Last edited by Denny Rice; 05-15-2013 at 2:23 AM. Reason: spelling

States Industries is one of our advertisers here. I was able to see a large number of their plywood products at IWF last year, great stuff at reasonable prices. I have been told that a lot of our Members have been ordering plywood sheet from them so give them a look.

http://www.buyappleply.com

http://www.statesind.com/
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 05-15-2013 at 6:39 AM.

Are you sure you bought the timber products plywood and not the tiger plywood? I think the tiger is stocked in store.

Are you sure you bought the timber products plywood and not the tiger plywood? I think the tiger is stocked in store.

I have used the tiger plywood once, never, ever again! One of the sheets had small slivers of metal, yes I said metal in the plywood. I could not believe my eyes. The only good thing was I was cutting the wood down into smaller, more manageable pieces, with a 7 1/4" saw blade not my good 80.00 dollar 10" table saw blade. I was out about 12.00 for the blade and about 40.00 for the sheet of plywood, but after I took it back to Menards and showed them the wood, they apologized and gave me my money back. Tiger needs to keep that junk in China where it was made. To their and my benefit Menards also sells another line of furniture grade plywood and its made in USA and guess what, there is no metal in it......JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    I have used the tiger plywood once, never, ever again!
    I bought a sheet of red oak Tiger ply for a bathroom vanity, I share the same opinion, never again.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

There are way too many voids in TigerPlywood too..

Does anyone know if the face veneer on this stuff is rotary cut?

I do not like the look of rotary cut veneer.

I tried to laminate two pieces of 3/4" red oak plywood from Menards to make a RAS top and couldn't get it flat enough.