Thread: aftermarket bandsaw fences

aftermarket bandsaw fences

I was wondering about aftermarket bandsaw fences... my bandsaw desperately needs one because the stock fence is not adequate for any accurate cutting... it takes forever to adjust the fence to make a cut because the fence would move when I tighten it. I've looked at various aftermarket fences (and Grizzly ones too) such as Kreg, the problem is unlike most bandsaws with a table slot to the side, my table slot is to the front. This means a fence rail will interfere with blade changing...

What fence would you recommend? Is the Kreg any good?

I have a 18" bandsaw by the way....
    IMG_0877.jpg

Why does it move when tightened down. It looks pretty heavy and I'd try to modify it first. A couple of set screws drilled and tapped to help with the drift adjustment, even if nylon. Sometimes the end of the screw that tightens down isn't flat or can be modified to give more surface area. Or a second fence that slipped over the top of the existing one that compensated for the drift. I've found that many fences can be re designed and function quite well. I have a Kreg on a 20" saw and it isn't very heavy, and a Beisemeyer on my 30" which I like a lot, but kind of big or an 18". Dave

that cast iron fence is all one piece, and yes it's very very heavy... possibly the heaviest fence I have ever seen. There is only one knob with a screw touching the table when tightened, causing the fence to move... and also since the slack is taken up when tightened, the fence moves sideways a little bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    that cast iron fence is all one piece, and yes it's very very heavy... possibly the heaviest fence I have ever seen. There is only one knob with a screw touching the table when tightened, causing the fence to move... and also since the slack is taken up when tightened, the fence moves sideways a little bit too.
    You should be able to fix both of those problems. Cast iron fences are pretty nice when you get them dialed in. Dave

I've got a Kreg and find it's adequate for most of my needs but you'll still have the blade changing problem with it since it's mount would block your slot. Maybe there's a newer version that addresses that. I haven't looked lately.

I had a Rockler BS table mounted a few years ago that had the blade changing slot facing the right way for your saw. I found some deficiencies in the fence movement and general quality of it and retired it. Anyway its blade slot was oriented 90 degrees to my saw's table and I had to remove it completely to change blades.

I was thinking of mounting the fence rail about 1" from the table itself, to allow blade changes... not sure how it will work though.

I just sold my Kreg fence and got the spendy Laguna BS fence. It is a very nice system and I highly recommend it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.