Thread: Stanley Four Square Plane?

Question Stanley Four Square Plane?

Ok, just "won" a Stanley Four Square jack plane. 11" long. It has the "pebbled" lever cap, with STANLEY in a box cast into it. High knob, with no ring at the base. Tote has a single bolt. Looks like about 2.25" wide.

What can you all tell me about this "Junior Jack" sized plane?

( supposed to arrive on the 15th, my Birthday)

Blog Entries
    Happy Birthday Steven.

I do not know much about the Stanley Four Square line. Do know it was an economy line for what ever that is worth.

One of my "Junior Jacks" was given to me by generous member here and is used on small work. To me it is like using a long #3.

Another one appears to have come from a high school woodworking class and has the scars to show for it. The beat up copy has been given a radius to the blade and is used as a scrub plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Four Square planes are a notch down from the Bailey line. Yours is a "household jack" plane--no number. Manufactured 1923-1930.

I've rehabbed and used two of the Four Square 5 1/4s. Both of mine are very high quality planes (for being economy versions). Having rehabbed two newer 5 1/4 Bailey's, the 4Sqs are just as good if not better. IMO, you've done well by getting this oldie goldie! CONGRATS! Compared to a Handyman, the Four Square is far superior. Enjoy.

Looks like a lot of rust of this one. Seller had the iron inbass ackwards, with the chip breaker against the frog. Wood parts will need to be refinished, but look solid. Sides are "Half & Half", half black paint, and half rust. Might get a shiny side to it. Did Stanley paint the lever cap black? This one is a nice rusty brown flavour. Should be here on the 15th. $12 +S&H , not too bad for a 5-1/4??

Blog Entries
    Did Stanley paint the lever cap black?
    Not sure about on the 4 Square, but a lot of the transitionals had painted lever caps.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It has arrived... SDC15154.jpgand has been rehabbed back to this state. Iron has the SW inside a heart stamped on it. It is 1-3/4" wide. When the plane arrived, lever cap was loose, iron and chip breaker were in the plane backwards, with the bolt forward. Sole was VERY rusty, but no pitting. Wood items were solid. Just a matter of cleaning things up, sharpening the iron back up. Nice little plane.

Got the lever cap painted a nice black. Then went back over the logo area with the wire brush to shine it up. The smooth area at the very end, was also shined back up. There are a couple pits in the sole, but nothing really bad. SDC15174.jpgSDC15168.jpgSDC15165.jpgSDC15169.jpglast picture shows it laying on top of a "normal" #5 jack plane. Beginning to like this little plane, a lot!