Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw advice

Dan,I got to run a 750 Homelite, that saw would make a pile of chips in a hurry. I wouldn't want to carry it all day.

John T. you are right, we don't know the O.P.'s needs or budget. That is why I made no suggestions about a specific saw but talked in generalities.
    A plastic crankcase is plenty strong but is too heavy and they don't hold screws well.

Brian,
    Your right, my brother kept a 750 with a 44" bar, that thing is a beast but pretty useless unless your a professional. Most of the saws I inherited aren't very exciting, a few 150's, a 240, a 330 and a 360. But I did get a 50's model 26 lst, your can almost ride the thing.

Stihl is still the best chainsaw. Use 89 octane gas.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post
    John is correct about the weight. My two saws, Stihl MS 290 (56cc)and Husqvarna 576XP (73cc), are 13 lb. and 14 lbs. As I get older I find myself looking for a good 40/45cc saw that weighs around 10 lbs. That saw with a 16/18" bar would take care of all my needs except the milling I do.
    Ditto. I am thinking of picking up a 346XP for the light weight. I have a 357XP and a 392XP that I seldom use as I get older. We have a good dealer up here for husky, so I'll stick with what works. That dealer on Thumb Lake road, can't remember the name right now.

Larry

Blog Entries
    Check out the chainsaw forum on arboristsite dot com.

6. I just bought my first house and asked to borrow my dad's chainsaw. He said: "It is Stihl in the shop..." so I bought a Husky of my own

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Newcomb View Post
    I just bought my first house and asked to borrow my dad's chainsaw. He said: "It is Stihl in the shop..." so I bought a Husky of my own
    That is Funny,Travis.

I have spent this whole week cutting down a thirty foot Locust tree in my back yard. I borrowed a Poullan chain saw from my neighbor and could never get it started. I wore myself out trying. I took the chain saw back and my neighbor said well I have another Poullan saw, try that one. I was able to get the saw started but every time I set it down it would quit. Thiis was very frustrating to say the least. I finally gave up on that dog and reverted to my trusty bow saw. I cut the entire tree down by hand and for the last few days I have cut up nearly all the branches into fireplace size logs. I got a lot of good exercise and for a 78 year old I think I have done pretty good.

Fifteen years ago I had a Stihl saw and never once did it give me the fits that these two Poullan saws have. Oh well, I got the job done and proved that an old man can still do what he has to do.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

I agree with others who say not to try and save money on a bargain saw. I will cost you more in the long run. I learned the hard way after going through several "bargain" store saws. I finally bought a Husqvarna 18" about five years ago and wish I had done so years before.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    I have spent this whole week cutting down a thirty foot Locust tree in my back yard. I borrowed a Poullan chain saw from my neighbor and could never get it started. I wore myself out trying. I took the chain saw back and my neighbor said well I have another Poullan saw, try that one. I was able to get the saw started but every time I set it down it would quit. Thiis was very frustrating to say the least. I finally gave up on that dog and reverted to my trusty bow saw. I cut the entire tree down by hand and for the last few days I have cut up nearly all the branches into fireplace size logs. I got a lot of good exercise and for a 78 year old I think I have done pretty good.

Fifteen years ago I had a Stihl saw and never once did it give me the fits that these two Poullan saws have. Oh well, I got the job done and proved that an old man can still do what he has to do.
    Gordon, very impressive! I'd say, yes, you done good!!

My only concern is that you squandered a perfectly good opportunity to justify buying another Stihl.

David

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Gordon, very impressive! I'd say, yes, you done good!!

My only concern is that you squandered a perfectly good opportunity to justify buying another Stihl.

David
    I hear you David but I don't plan on cutting down anymore trees at my age. Course I thought that 15 years ago as well.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordon, when someone ask if I have a saw they could borrow, I saw yes I do but its broke right now!

Gordon, could I have some of whatever your drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brightwell View Post
    Gordon, when someone ask if I have a saw they could borrow, I saw yes I do but its broke right now!
    I have done a lot of things for this neighbor so I didn't hesitate to ask. I have also baked him a loaf of warm wheat bread each time I bake it for my wife and I. I have been doing this for two years now (ever since his wife died).

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Gordon, could I have some of whatever your drinking?
    It's just water Johnny, 6 to 8 glasses a day.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordon, that was pretty impressive to cut up the whole tree with a bow saw - not something I want to emulate any time soon. I'll bet the problem with your neighbor's saws had nothing to do with what brand they were; rather, the way they were treated or, more likely, stored. I'll bet he hadn't used them in a long time, but there was still gas in the tank. That's a sure recipe for the carb. gumming up, and so easy to avoid if you dump out the tank whenever you're not going to use the saw for several days or longer, and then run it at low speed until the saw stops. Sometimes the problem is a collapsed fuel pick up tube, a real problem with my Shindaiwas and some Stihl saws after our gasoline went to 10 ethanol. Ethanol swells and softens the rubber that was used in them. Two solutions here - either use pure gas if you can find it, or dump out the fuel and run it dry as described above.

John