Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros and Cons of Adjustable Mouth vs Fixed Mouth Block Planes

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I work in many media,John. Dancer's thongs is just one of them.
    George, the image of you in thongs in the workshop is... frankly ... disturbing

Regards from Perth

Derek

They're not MINE!! They are for the girls. But,they keep getting chaffed on the brass poles,and I have to renew them.

Blog Entries
    This thread came to mind yesterday while working on smoothing the circumference on wooden wheel.

Convex surface smoothing is one of the many jobs where an adjustable mouth is a handy feature.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Jim. I am curious why an adjustable mouth helps with fairing convex curves. In fact, I find the smaller footprint of a fixed mouth plane easier to maneuver on curves. When skewed, it's almost as versatile as a spokeshave on things like table legs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Hi Jim. I am curious why an adjustable mouth helps with fairing convex curves. In fact, I find the smaller footprint of a fixed mouth plane easier to maneuver on curves. When skewed, it's almost as versatile as a spokeshave on things like table legs.
    The size of the mouth controls how much of the curve can enter the mouth or be in the working area of the blade.

The planes used in my case are #60 & 65 series planes.

I do not understand what you mean by the smaller footprint of a fixed mouth plane. Some of my block planes are fixed mouth, but they do not have the blade adjustment like my LA block planes.

My recent experience was with a wheel for my wheel barrow project. (Not Enough Fingers to Count the Mistakes) When the mouth was closed my plane was not taking much more than dust like shavings. Opening the mouth enabled the blade to get a better bite. The shaving thickness was adjustable with just the mouth opening.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I see your point about more of the curve being able to get into the mouth. When I say smaller footprint, I'm comparing planes like the LN102 and Veritas Apron plane to the Stanley 60 1/2 type planes. Both of those are adjustable depth. Their size makes them easier for me to use one-handed and gets closer to the transitions from convex to concave easier (for me).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    When I say smaller footprint, I'm comparing planes like the LN102 and Veritas Apron plane to the Stanley 60 1/2 type planes. Both of those are adjustable depth.
    My Stanley #102 is great for some things, but it doesn't have a blade adjuster. For going across end grain, my preference is for a low angle plane or a spoke shave.

For my wheel barrow project, the Stanley #65 was nice for fairing the wheel. The wheel was made of 2X12 and the blade on the #65 was wide enough to skew slightly and span the width of the wheel 'tread' with the edges chamfered.

In reality what works best depends on what tools one has in their shop at the time.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-22-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    George, how would you know this? Have you started a side business supplying leather thongs to the dancers around Norfolk?
    ROTFLMAO!!
    Funniest line ever in this forum!
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I didn't like having to chose just one type of block plane, so, I went and bought both kinds. use as needed...