Thread: Blackburn Tools new carcase saw review

Blackburn Tools new carcase saw review

Well, since we are in somewhat of a golden age of custom saw builders, and I don't have a lot of antique store or flea market time with a family and business to run I decided to order up a saw the way I wanted it.
    After a little homework, I found Isaac Smith and Blackburn Tools. I liked all the info on his site- sharp and concise, no "fluff" . Anyway I ordered the 12" carcase with the .025 plate with 16 ppi filed rip with NO set
    and a large Apple handle. The handle is very comfortable, and the workmanship is quite crisp! Absolutely beautiful!
    The blade depth is 3" to the spine, and even with zero set, I was able to cut 4 full depth cuts in moderately hard 1 1/2" thick Mahogany all less than 1/16" apart from each other to full depth without guide lines - arrow straight no problem at all. This IS the nicest , and most well crafted saw I own, period.
    I have no affiliation with Isaac, just a very happy customer!

Money I will be glad to spend again when the need arises!

Peter

I made and used a dovetail saw with no set back in the 70's.I might warn you that you will get away with no set only as long as the saw is dead sharp. In the 18th.C.,marquetry cutters had to make their own blades from watch springs. They had no set,except for the "rag of the file".

George, yes, I am aware that the saw will require a little more attention than one with set. As you know, but many others may not, " let the saw do the work" is really,really important when running no set, otherwise the plate heats, and binds.

I have a pretty simple philosophy when working, "A dull tool isn't!", that is, a dull tool is not a tool anymore it is a hindrance between you and your objective. You work much harder trying to achieve good results with dull tools, and a lot of the time it is more dangerous.

Of course , sharpening should be a bit quicker without having to deal with the set issue each time.