Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martin Guitar factory tour

Martin Guitar factory tour

I normally post in the woodcarvers forum but I happened to visit the C.F. Martin Guitar factory today. What a fascinating tour! I took 127 shots but figured I'd post some of the more interesting pics here. Several are shots around the factory as well as the one millionth guitar and their 180th anniversary guitar. Their museum is just staggering as well.
    Hope you enjoy them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Woodworking Studio

Necks and soundboards anyone?
    The Woodworking Studio

And some crazy inlay work.
    The Woodworking Studio

How about these and that buffing wheel?
    The Woodworking Studio

Plus I just liked this guys expression from the restoration department. He was talking to someone and I happened to catch this look.

They turn out 250 guitars a day, 50 weeks a year. They showed the new John Mayer edition guitar which starts at $11,000.00. Some models they have run up to $114,000.000,, several in the $60,000.00 range and many below that of course.
    The Woodworking Studio

Wow! How awesome is that! Where is the factory?

In Nazareth Pa. About 15 minutes north of the Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton area.
    The Woodworking Studio

thanks for sharing!
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Yundt View Post
    In Nazareth Pa. About 15 minutes north of the Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton area.
    Hmmm...I could do that and hit Woodcraft in the same trip. That looks too cool. It'd be nice if they had free samples!

Did you get a sound hole?

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Did you get a sound hole?
    Now THAT's funny right there!!
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Now THAT's funny right there!!
    Looking at it now, it does look funny, doesn't it? LOL. They laser cut their tops now, I believe, and you can get the cutout part of the soundhole on the tour.

Yes John I did. Sounds like you're familiar with the tour. The tops and sides are indeed laser cut and the sound hole cut out is then laser engraved maybe a couple dozen at a time and given out at the end of the tour. The hole in the center of it, making it look like a wooden CD is part of the locating jig the tops are put into prior to cutting.
    We watched the laser etch ( burn ?) both the sound hole and the makers mark for inside the guitars. Pictured here is the piece that gets fitted inside the guitar which is also done quite a few at a time. And though it looks like the same piece, the sound holes in the laser in the third picture are getting done for Guitar Aficionado magazine. Same thing only different. That blurred pink thing is the laser head zipping back and forth adding line by line the script just like a regular printer does.
    Interestingly the edges on the cut out tops and sides are feel as though they have been sanded. Perfectly smooth.
    Last edited by Mark Yundt; 05-16-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    The Woodworking Studio

A friend went on the tour a couple of years ago. I keep meaning to get out there and check it out, but I never get around to it. I do know that for all the modern machinery they've brought it, building a martin is still somewhat of a touchy-feely process....a bit more so than others. I'm so glad that they're pumping out great guitars again. They went through some dark years with very poor leadership and basically cranked out junk for a while.