Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Day with the Festool RO 90 DX FEQ-Plus

As I read your review, the 90 is no more effective than the 125 was.
    I was thinking of the 93; what made you take the 90 instead?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Sam, if I go Festool, ES seems way to go. Have you looked at Mirka? It seems highly rated and costs is not too much different than Fes. I notice they just introduce a Deros which doesn't use a transformer and is direct wired vs the older Ceros version. They too have a dust collection vacuum. One drawback is they don't have the additional tools that Fest has.

Was also wondering could a Fest vacuum be hooked to say a DeWalt ROS and get great results?

I have had both the RO150 and ETs 150/3 for about 6 years and used both extensively. In fact the RO 150 had to go back to Festool last month for repair when the plug socket wore out & they replaced the spindle bearing at the same time. I find myself reaching for the RO 150 80%+ of the time. Yes it is a lot heavier and with < 120 grit and in rotex mode takes 2 hands to handle but it is so much faster that it is my favorite sander. Smaller parts are about the only time I use the ETS 150/3.

Blog Entries
    I treid one at the local WW store and it seemed VERY loud! And was extremely heavy. The RO150 that is.

That's a really versatile tool...'glad you are getting immediate use out of it! (And 'glad that Uncle Bob took great care of you, too!)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Thanks Sam, if I go Festool, ES seems way to go. Have you looked at Mirka? It seems highly rated and costs is not too much different than Fes. I notice they just introduce a Deros which doesn't use a transformer and is direct wired vs the older Ceros version. They too have a dust collection vacuum. One drawback is they don't have the additional tools that Fest has.

Was also wondering could a Fest vacuum be hooked to say a DeWalt ROS and get great results?
    I haven't used the Ceros but others (whose opinions I respect) will tell you that there is none better. I am however, a user and big fan of the Mirka Abranet mesh. Having used many versions of ROs and DAs I maintain that the ETS 150 is the best I have ever used. I'd love to try the Mirka but kind of afraid to. It could ruin the ETS for me - and then what ?

As for hooking up other tools to the Festool vac system I do it all the time. Some sanders won't work well with the suction turned up to full suck, but you have the option of reducing the amount of suction so that's not really an issue - just something to know. I would not try to use a Festool sander with a Dewalt shop vac though. That's wasted effort.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

The RO150 FEQ is a heavy sander, however if you hold it properly, it's not bad at all. To keep the sander in control and for best balance, you're supposed to support the hose attachment area with one hand and hold the head with the other. Doing this, I found the sander is easy to hold and very easy to control. The first time I used the sander, it jumped all over the place, but now, I find it very smooth, quiet and aggressive. It's a joy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Murdoch View Post
    ... I would not try to use a Festool sander with a Dewalt shop vac though. That's wasted effort.
    Why not? My festool sander is connected to my rigid shop vac. What am I doing wrong?