Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Day with the Festool RO 90 DX FEQ-Plus

First Day with the Festool RO 90 DX FEQ-Plus

Whew! That's a long name for a short tool.

The RO 90 arrived Monday. I ordered it Thursday from Bob Marino. It was packed better than eggs.

I'm sanding stain and varnish off 26 year old kitchen cabinet face frames. I started using the RO 125 but quickly realized that wasn't the best tool to do it all. I was looking at the Deltex 93 but was directed to the RO 90. After seeing all that it could do, I decided that was the best tool to plunk down my money on.

Working in Rotex mode, I found it to be pretty much the same as the 125, just a little lighter. I'm working vertically and on surfaces no wider than 3-1/4". Starting with Granat 80, it did a pretty good job. BTW, I tried Cristal 60 with the RO 125 and wasn't impressed. The abrasive quickly lost it's grit. Granat seems to be a great all-around.

Anyway, I alternated between the 90 & 125. I started with Granat 80 on the RO 90 but after a while decided 120 worked just as well, when you consider I'd have to go back with 120 anyway.

In Deltex mode I was surprised to find it removed the finish as fast or faster than Rotex mode. But dust pickup was noticeably deficient compared to the RO 125 or ETS 125 or the Rotex mode on the RO 90. But when you consider the Deltex pad doesn't rotate, that's understandable.

Arthur(itis) is visiting me more often now. Working with the RO 125 my hands hurt after a while. The RO 90, not so much. The ETS, even less.

All of the kitchen cabinets are filled with the usual stuff. There's very little dust evident. Granat seems oblivious to stains and varnish but clogs with crud (that's a generic term ). There was some crud at the bottom of the garbage cabinet. Hey, it's been 26 years!

The ability to rotate the delta paper means you can get the most out of the edges and tips of the paper. I found the paper slides a bit on the pad when you're getting into tight places. The delta paper needed replacing sooner than the round paper.

I have always hated sanding. It was tedious and brutal on my allergies. Festool has made that unpleasant part of woodworking more tolerable. The RO 90 will get a good workout.

No pictures?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    I have trained my mind to love sanding, it's the step in the project right before you get to apply finish. If you learn to love it, you'll do a better job and have much better results. Sanding can make or break a project. Having a bad arse sander can really lean you towards enjoying the task. Now for the hard truth, NO PICS, DIDN'T HAPPEN. LMAO
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Might want to pick up some extra delta pads, I found that there is a tendency to wear the points of the pads a little more quickly than "normal" (the Velcro wears off), rotating the pad helps but it's still nice to know you have backup. Yeah, definitely a nice little sander. Festool does have good dust collection but the quality and durability over the years is a big plus for me. My rotex150 (fixed cord) is hitting 10 years with a ton of use and I think it's actually smoother now that it's well broken-in.

Okay. I was tired, lazy, whatever. But you're right, you always need pics.

Not included in the $385.00 price is all but two sheets of sandpaper, the two delta pads (hard) in the upper left corner, and the additional round pad (hard) on the RO 90. Under the tool is the Deltex attachment, included in the price. Because of the Deltex feature, the RO 90 has the largest selection of accessories of any of the Festool sanders, in terms of giving the tool maximum versatility.

With the Deltex attachment. The white line on the front of the sander is from me working the inside perimeter of the drawer spaces on the face frames. The dial on top gives you Deltex mode, Rotex mode and Rotary mode. The green switch behind it gives you orbital and in-line options.

Variable speed control is included (the green wheel on the handle). I purchased hard pads for both delta (on the Deltex pad) and round (on the tool). The included soft pads are in the center and on the right. Two sheets of abrasives are also included.

A size comparison between the RO 125 (5" pad) and the RO 90 (3" pad). The 125 is 4.4 lbs. The 90 is 3.3 lbs. When working vertically, I could tell the difference in weight.

Accessories:
    Besides what has already been mentioned, you can purchase an extended delta pad and a Supersoft interface pad for polishing.

Abrasives:
    Festool offers Deltex abrasives in Rubin 2, Brilliant 2, Cristal, Saphir, Granat and Vlies. 3" round abrasives include Rubin 2, Brilliant 2, Granat and Vlies.

A note on included abrasives:
    Everyone who has ever priced out Festool tools knows they aren't cheap. So for many, the initial tool purchase can stretch your budget. When I received the RO 125 and ETS 125, both came with a nice assortment of abrasives, about 20 or so. That's great for anyone who wants to get to know Festool abrasives. I also didn't have to include in the initial purchase the cost of an assortment of abrasives, and that made the first two tool purchases much easier. The RO 90 DX came with two sheets. I bought six (6) boxes of abrasives, at $33@, when I purchased the RO 90 adding over 50% more to the tool price. That put me on the fence big time. Had dust collection not been a health issue for me, I probably couldn't have justified forking out over $600.00 for this purchase.

A Festool mod at FOG said they never know what abrasives are included in a tool package because they never know what's coming out of Germany. If you're having a tough time pulling the trigger on a sander purchase, the additional cost of abrasives could easily kill the deal. But if you know you'll have enough abrasives to sink your teeth into that first project, you'll more easily be able to make the initial purchase. And once you own the sander, the abrasive purchases you need to make won't be so bad because you will have forgotten what you paid for the tool. In short, Festool has another lifetime abrasives customer. And for the newbie, probably a Festool convert. Not bad for the couple of dollars it might cost them to include a decent assortment of abrasives with the tool.

A little teaser video:
    Last edited by Julie Moriarty; 05-16-2013 at 9:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    Might want to pick up some extra delta pads, I found that there is a tendency to wear the points of the pads a little more quickly than "normal" (the Velcro wears off), rotating the pad helps but it's still nice to know you have backup. Yeah, definitely a nice little sander. Festool does have good dust collection but the quality and durability over the years is a big plus for me. My rotex150 (fixed cord) is hitting 10 years with a ton of use and I think it's actually smoother now that it's well broken-in.
    Yes, I can see the wear on the delta pad already. I did get a couple of extras.

I agree with your broken in comment. Switching back and forth between the RO 125 and RO 90, the 125 was running very cool. The 90 was hot. Festool says the brushes have to seat and as they do, the temperature of the tool will decrease. They are kind of like a diesel engine, 500K miles before it's broken in.

Question: would it not have been better to take the cabinet doors to have them cold dipped at a refinisher? I like new tools as much as the next guy but when you mention one sander wasn't the "best tool to do it all," I would think you would choose a more efficient route. Doubly so with respect to your comments about arthritis and a general lack of enjoyment with regards to sanding as a task.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Brown View Post
    Question: would it not have been better to take the cabinet doors to have them cold dipped at a refinisher? I like new tools as much as the next guy but when you mention one sander wasn't the "best tool to do it all," I would think you would choose a more efficient route. Doubly so with respect to your comments about arthritis and a general lack of enjoyment with regards to sanding as a task.
    All the doors and drawer faces are new. The old ones were almond laminate and I couldn't wait another 25 years for them to come back into style. I opted for mahogany rails & stiles and sapele panels. This is just what's on the pool table. There's more on the air hockey table, the pool chairs and the bar. No fun in the basement until I'm done!

I had considered chemical stripping for the face frames but creating that kind of a mess in a kitchen we still need to use daily convinced me otherwise.

I guess I also need to show the work the RO 90 did too!

The wall cabinets still have the old finish on them. I'm considering taking them down and working on them down in the workshop. I may modify the micro-shelf to fit the microwave better. The cabinet on the right of the dishwasher is after sanding and on the left after sanding to 220 grit, grain raising, hand sanding and then dying with General Finishes Ebony. I don't think that dye likes oak very much. You really have to work it. The drawers are what the old doors & drawer faces looked like.

This is pretty much what the finished product will look like. When choosing the panels I tried to bookmatch them wherever possible, thus the tape to identify which doors go where. But as you can see, when I replaced the tape after the first topcoat, I had the right one upside down. But before drilling for the hinges, I check them and make sure they are right.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, the ETS 125 that I got a couple of months ago came with a single solitary sheet of 80 grit paper. It's not expensive for a festool tool, by any means, but I was struck sort of by the same thing - why do I have to go searching for some way to hook it up to a vacuum? I've got only two festool tools, the nickel and diming on accessories probably means that I won't get more of them.

(I hate sanding, too. Asthma and allergies. So I don't do it unless I have something where a finish plane won't go, or shouldn't be used - like a cheap ply with a thin veneer).

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, the ETS 125 that I got a couple of months ago came with a single solitary sheet of 80 grit paper. It's not expensive for a festool tool, by any means, but I was struck sort of by the same thing - why do I have to go searching for some way to hook it up to a vacuum? I've got only two festool tools, the nickel and diming on accessories probably means that I won't get more of them.
    David, in my opinion, it's the Festool vacuum that makes the sanders so great. When I bought the RO 125, I got it packaged with the CT 26. While the sanders are impressive, the vacuum is the real champion. I still wear a dust mask but there's hardly any evidence of dust on them. Before, no matter what dust collection means I used, the dust mask dirtied quickly.

Absolutely, Julie. Festool is king when it comes to nearly 100% dust free sanding. I still remember my first time sanding with my Rotex: the only evidence that I was sanding was that the surface was getting smoother and smoother. It has actually made sanding fun if you can believe it.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Beautiful clarity and color on your project !

Blog Entries
    Julie, I am contemplating a Festool purchase. I was over at Circle Saw in Houston today and they only had an RO150 and 90. I must say, I think the R0150 is way too heavy for a lot of continuous use. The 90 seemed too small. I primarily do work on new wood and am not removing finish or paint. Would you recommend one of these tools or the ES series? I am having a hard time comparing the ES and RO series as they are on different pages on Festool's site.

Did you look at the Mirka Ceros as well?

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Julie, I am contemplating a Festool purchase. I was over at Circle Saw in Houston today and they only had an RO150 and 90. I must say, I think the R0150 is way too heavy for a lot of continuous use. The 90 seemed too small. I primarily do work on new wood and am not removing finish or paint. Would you recommend one of these tools or the ES series? I am having a hard time comparing the ES and RO series as they are on different pages on Festool's site.

Did you look at the Mirka Ceros as well?
    Hi Tim, I'm not Julie but I do have opinions on your question. Here is an edited version of a response to some questions that Julie herself posted a while back that might help answer your questions. Keep in mind that Festool has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. You can try a tool and return it if it is not up to your needs or expectations. A local dealer rents Festools and I have found that a useful way to run a tool through its paces without any worries about the ethics of working a "test" tool too hard, not that I abuse tools. I use them with care but I do use them without mercy. Anyway - to your questions -

If you can have only one sander the ETS 150/5 is likely to be more versatile. It can be more aggressive than the ETS150/3 and with finer grit abrasives and a little more sanding can also get you to the level of finish of the ETS 150/3. The ETS 150/3 is a very excellent finish sander.

Unlike the ETS models the RO 125 and 150 are pretty aggressive sanders that require some practice. I'm a small handed fellow - maybe an 1 3/8" between my fingers around the RO125 - and for me it is a two handed tool. I won't add any comment about the RO 90 . That is all discussed above and besides which, I don't own one, though I think I'd be happy if I did.

If you think you might prefer the RO 125 or 150 try one or both on a number of types of work in the next few weeks in both modes and get a feel for the RO's temperament and abilities. The RO will require practice, unlike the more usual Bosch or Makita RO sanders and especially in comparison to the Festool ETS, but it will do the work.

I have written in the past that the RO is a capable finish sander on hard woods. I own the RO125 and I just found it too much extra work for soft woods and as a between coats sander - but I used it on lots of projects with great success for nearly 2 years before the upgrade to the ETS 150/3. It is still within the capacities of the RO125 to do a great job on finish work but just more work when compared to the ETS 150. I use the RO regularly for rougher work. It has eliminated the need for belt sanders but I use the ETS 150/3 for any real finish work. It is a well balanced, easy to use, excellent sander.

If you don't know about the Festool Owners Group (FOG) - you should - check this out - festoolownersgroup.com/index.php Lots of valuable discussion and reviews to be found there.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 09-28-2013 at 5:47 AM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge