Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unusual Vise

I've been assuming that the block to which the diagonal braces are attached at the top, under the bench, (let's call it the top diagonals block) is fixed to the screw in its length (that is, not moving back and forth on the screw)but not to the top and that the screw turns freely in it. If that's the case, then the vise assembly is a triangle moving back and forth vertically, with none of the legs changing in length.

If the top diagonals block is fixed to the bench instead, then the vise is useful over a very, very short range of opening indeed, and the design's terrible as a general vise. And the moving jaw would rise (as it approached the bench) or fall (as it receded from the bench.

If my assumption is correct about the nature of the top diagonals block, then I would expect the moving jaw to splay out at the top as soon as any wear in the nut or through-hole in the bench occurred; indeed, with the necessity for some play in the assembly, it would probably splay out at the top immediately, to some degree.

I always follow these discussions of Cool Leg Vise Innovations with some bemusement. Granted, it's been a while since I had my grandfather's leg vise mounted on the bench, but I don't recall that it was all that much effort to put a pin in the right hole in the oak 1x2 strut at the bottom of the vise; and the classic design is easily made and easily repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    I always follow these discussions of Cool Leg Vise Innovations with some bemusement. Granted, it's been a while since I had my grandfather's leg vise mounted on the bench, but I don't recall that it was all that much effort to put a pin in the right hole in the oak 1x2 strut at the bottom of the vise; and the classic design is easily made and easily repaired.
    I enjoy seeing the ideas presented (whether new or old) even ones that are at an obvious disadvantage as compared to a more typical way of doing things. Maybe it's just the tinkerer in me that is fascinated with different ways to accomplish the same goal. In this particular case, I suppose it depends on a persons primary motivation for using a leg vise.
    1. Utility (It performs the job efficiently for my work)
    2. Nostalgia (I'm doing things the way Grandpappy did)
    3. Curiosity (I wonder how this would work...)
    4. ...?

If (1) were the primary motivation for most woodworkers, I suspect the sale and breadth of quality woodworking tools would be far less than what it is now. I can't speak for others, but I suspect my motivation will always be some mix of 1-4 and more .

I thought it was a very clever idea. Trouble is,I never saw a wooden device like a vise that would be put under strain,and not have some slack in it. I saw a very nice Ulmia bench that had a double screw vise. Screws connected by a chain,like the LV vises. It was nearly new. Sure enough,it would not close evenly enough to hold a scraper inserted into 1 side. Just a little off,but you couldn't hold a scraper to sharpen in it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    The connection between the angled brace constitutes one leg and two vertices of a triangle, the movable jaw and the point where the threaded rod comes through is the second leg, the connection at the top of the angled brace and the point where the threaded rod comes through is the third leg. If the third leg becomes shorter, the leg must rise as the angled brace length cannot change. Simple geometry.
    It's a simple triangle. One leg of that triangle is the screw, which passes through a nut. The entire triangle moves in and out as the screw is turned. That connection at the point where the angled leg meets the screw moves. Nothing goes up and down. Even simpler geometry.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty